Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

in the middle of a cam swap and need HELP!!!!!!ANOTHER QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AnthonyG, Apr 4, 2003.

1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I can't get the intake off I have all the bolts i can see off (6 on each) side what could be holding it I can move it all the way around but it just won't come off I don't want to break my nice weiand intake

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: in the middle of a cam swap and need HELP!!!!!!

Get a screwdriver and tap it between the bottom of the intake and the block Just above the timing chain cover pry gently it'll come loose

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The oil pressure sending unit mat be in the way. At the rear top of the block. I hope you have the distributor out.. LOL.
    John

4. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Also as kind of a for warning, the timing cover also has 2 bolts, 1 on each side going threw the oil pan. Putting the cover back on without pulling the pan is a bear. They always seem to leak

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get a screwdriver and tap it between the bottom of the intake and the block Just above the timing chain cover pry gently it'll come loose

[/ QUOTE ]
    that was it thanks I thought that was the the way to do it but this beeing my firse dive that far into a motor by my self I though it would be better to ask.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also as kind of a for warning, the timing cover also has 2 bolts, 1 on each side going threw the oil pan. Putting the cover back on without pulling the pan is a bear. They always seem to leak

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is there a special way to do so that it doesn't leak

6. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

You stand about a 20% chance of it not leaking if you dont pull the pan. It is difficult to not tweak the thin cover when your pull it off. Dont force anything. Also when you pull the harmonic balancer, make sure you put a bolt in the end of the crank so you dont ruin the threads.

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI am to the piont were i am pulling the cam out and it comes out to were i can see the first 3 or 4 lobes and then nothing It will not come any farther it is like it is stuck
    it will go back in but not all the way I don't want to force it What do i do /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

you need to pull the fuel pump off so you can get the drive rod out

9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH that would make sence /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    thanks you da man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Thanks everybody It worked now all i have to do is clean up the surfusses and put it all back together I think i will drop the pan in order to put the timing cover back on.
    I was wondering if there is any way to pull the bottom timing sprocket with out a puller I have a puller for the harmonic balencer but not one for tha gear any ideas??
    I am going to a double roller setup also how much play should there be in the timing chain I think mine might have jumped a gear
    once again thanks for all the help

11. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

The chain should have about 1/2 play with normal miles on it. But the double roller/heavy duty type can be had for about 25 bucks at napa or the like. I have heard of people giving the gear a couple wacks with a chisel and cracking it thereby letting it just slip off. But the puller way is much more easy. I would also recomend going and getting a long bolt and nut that fits in the end of your crankshaft. This could be used to push the balancer back on. I had a friend beat his on with a hammer and block of wood after a timing gear swap. His motor began knocking the next day from a ruined thrust bearing. somthing to think about

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

This might help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Cam Change

13. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

thanks but I already have that. thats what i used for most of it, it was VERY helpfull I just needed help with a few parts that it didn't cover