Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In the middle of a Dilemma

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fixmy59bug, Apr 24, 2007.

?

What suburban should I modify?

1. Fix your current 89 R1500, it can handle it

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Go with the bigger frame and get the 88 R2500.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

Ok, as you can see in my other thread I have a thought weighing on my mind heavily. I want a Dually Suburban sittin on 19.5" big rig wheels. But in my situation, what would be the best way to go about it?

I have a choice of 2 vehicles to convert.

1. 89 GMC suburban R1500 (that means the lighter 1/2 ton frame), converted to 73 C20 suspension, hubs, 14bff, and Hummer H2 wheels. 350TBI, 700R4, Torque Convertor lockup, rear barn doors, heavy duty tranny cooler, 3" lift via body lift blocks, Front and rear air (although the charge is dead), 3rd row seating, IMMACULATE interior condition, Just replaced the heater core, and a little sketchy on the handling (possibly needing front control arm bushings)

OR

2. 88 Chevy Suburban R2500 (3/4 ton frame with 8 lug wheels) for sale by No Regrets right in my neck of the woods. I don't know much about it, but here is what I know. Bit of front body damage, possible front cross member tweakage, CHEAP, and already has a stronger frame than my little 1500.

I am using this to tow at a maximum of 10,000 lbs. I know either frame can handle it, but I am a "Better safe than sorry" kinda guy and would rather be over prepared than under prepared. The 454 woudl have more power for towing, but there is NO POSSIBLE way it could match the 18MPG empty that I am not getting with my 89.

So, if you guys tell me definatively that the 89 is up to the task with absolutely no problems, and I should modify what I have. I will take your word for it.

By the way, Here is a pic of the 89 in it's current glory.

[​IMG]

And here is the link to the 88 that I am considering buying for this conversion:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204575

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You asked if your '89 was "up to the task." I couldn't find in your post exactly what task you want it to be up to, except for the conversion to a dually in which case either would work fine. It appears you want to tow but I'm not sure what you'd be towing. The 454 would be stronger but it sounds like your '89 is built pretty strongly and should probably do fine, especially on flat terrain.

In my opinion, the '89 is a great starting point.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I'm pretty sure 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton frames are the same.

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Beat me to it.

Andy