Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In the middle of a dilemma

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fixmy59bug, May 2, 2007.

1. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

Well, I see the Garage is MUCH quicker at answering questions than the generation specific forums, so I will try asking this question here as well..

I have a hankerin to build a Dually Suburban sittin on 19.5" big rig wheels. But in my situation, what would be the best way to go about it?

I have a choice of 2 vehicles to convert.

1. 89 GMC suburban R1500 (that means the lighter 1/2 ton frame), converted to 73 C20 suspension, hubs, 14bff, and Hummer H2 wheels. 350TBI, 700R4, Torque Convertor lockup, rear barn doors, heavy duty tranny cooler, 3" lift via body lift blocks, Front and rear air (although the charge is dead), 3rd row seating, IMMACULATE interior condition, Just replaced the heater core, and a little sketchy on the handling (possibly needing front control arm bushings)

OR

2. 88 Chevy Suburban R2500 (3/4 ton frame with 8 lug wheels) for sale by No Regrets right in my neck of the woods. I don't know much about it, but here is what I know. Bit of front body damage, possible front cross member tweakage, CHEAP, and already has a stronger frame than my little 1500.

I mainly use this as a tow rig for my show car (and my parents use it for their show cars as well). So most of the time it sits (unless there is a vehicle emergency). This vehicle will see a maximum of 5,000 miles per year, but it will look good doing it either way. I am use this to tow a maximum of 10,000 lbs. I know either frame can handle it, but I am a "Better safe than sorry" kinda guy and would rather be over prepared than under prepared. The 454 would have more power for towing, but there is NO POSSIBLE way it could match the 18MPG empty that I am not getting with my 89.

So, if you guys tell me definatively that the 89 is up to the task with absolutely no problems, and I should modify what I have. I will take your word for it.

By the way, Here is a pic of the 89 in it's current glory.

[​IMG]

And here is the link to the 88 that I am considering buying for this conversion:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204575

2. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I believe you own the current sub, correct? if so, why not pickup the other for cheap, and do the conversion on it, so you don't hack up your good looking sub. have the best of both worlds. :)

3. fixmy59bug

Correct, I do own the pictured maroon sub. Either I will be selling the maroon one and modifying the white 88, or modifying the 89. I need to know which is a more durable tow vehicle (to me durable means reliable, powerful enough, and safe enough (braking distance and capability of handling the load)). I guess that is all I am asking here.

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

You've got the 14bff so the braking isn't going to get better than the big drums. Of course if you disk'd them...:dunno:

I didn't realize the frames were different, is that certain? :confused:

How will you be making that rear end/wheel arrangement work?

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the frames are the same between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton so both burbs have the same frame, if you want a true 1 ton frame you would have to mod a crew cab frame to get it

6. mello_yello

mello_yello 1/2 ton status

really:confused:

7. fixmy59bug

Really. The frames are the same? So since I have already transplanted some 73 C20 suspension and brake setup, Effectively I already have a 2500 (except for the powertrain) and have no need to buy the 88 then, Is that correct?

As far as how I will setup the rear wheels when I convert to dually, I see it as I have 2 options.

Option 1 is to buy one of those 2" spacer dually wheel adapter kits and just convert the rearend I already have

And Option 2is to find a 14bff DRW axle, cut off the spring pads (unless they already line up which is highly unlikely from what I have read) and weld the spring pads where they need to be.

If I go with option 1, it will be no problem when/if I convert to rear disc brakes. If I go with option 2, it will eliminate my rear disc brake conversion and will require slight modifications, but I know it will be done right and not rigged with spacers.

To me it seems the general consensus is to keep the 89 and modify it. That will probably work better for me in the long run anyways.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Frames are the same, 1/2 and 3/4 ton. Only the 1-ton pickups (which includes all crewcabs, don't ask) have the thick/narrow frames.

DRW 14BFF's are often C&C, i.e. NARROWER than regular ones. You'd hafta tub your wheelwells to do this ... actually would look better, IMHO, as you wouldn't have those silly fender flares, which look dumb on a pickup and REALLY dumb on a Burb. Again, IMHO.

Anyway, to get the WIDE rear you'd prolly get a D70 from a dually pickup. Since duallies are all 1-tons, yes, you'd need to move the spring perches back out to get it to bolt up to your Burb.

Whatcha gonna do up front, switch to the C30 DRW spindles? Or run two different wheel styles/sizes front and rear? (Or spacers? Eww.)

-- A

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'd imagine the general consensus will be that your braking will be better with less work, using the drums. Don't forget gearing.

10. fixmy59bug

Ok, so to get the look I want, it seems like I will have to get the D70 rearend that sremu spoke of. I have foudn a few pictures of both styles (duals under stock body and duals under added flares) and personally I love the way the flares look on a burb. Here is my inspiration Although I will not be lowered, if anything I will be slightly raised.

[​IMG]

11. mello_yello

mello_yello 1/2 ton status

that looks sweet deffinatlly do fenders or dont do it, IMO