Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inboard shock setup ona daily driver 81gmc 4x4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by motofool, Apr 19, 2004.

1. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

gonna do a bds 6" suspension and was wondering what i would gain anything fron goig to inboard shock setup in the rear?

i will be usgin some 14" travel dt's just like muddy taz is running so i thought this migh be a good mod but what about daily driver abilities anyone got some input??

2. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

What are you trying to accomplish? What are your goals? Inboard shocks are good for only one thing, extreme articulation. You will make sacrifices in other areas if you do it.

BTW, are you going to use 6" springs in the back, or a shackle flip/spring combo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    I run a 5 inch lift (shackle flips, stock leaf with zero rates from ORD.) and the M.O.O. rear shock relocator setup with Bilstein 5150s. $$$ but very nice ride. I found no negative side effects yet.
    [​IMG]

4. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

the truck is gonna be a daily driver and play rig...

i want to be able to keep up on the trails with other peoples i have a Moab trip planned....

i want to build the truck right and not do it 2 or 3 times..

shackle flip with 2" block till i grab some rear springs.

5. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

husurddy:

so you noticed no difference on the road with the shock setup like this?

just better articulation off road?

oh and im thinking a zero rate might be the smartest choice for the rear instaed of a 2" block if im gonna be flexing it at all...(with shackle flip)
    just better articulation off road?

6. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

dougk20 what sacrifices are you talking about.

would you feel comfortable loading you truck bed up with stuff mostly camping gear and 2 quads ina ontop of the bed rack? or a small trailer?

that is the msot the truck will ever get loaded down wiht is camping gear and 2 quads.

7. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    Actually, the ride is MUCH better both on and off road. But My shocks are new too. Still no negative side effects found, easy to do. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I can't see it being uncontrolable, your leaf springs are your main ride control, the shocks just dampen the movement of the springs, so as long as they are still setup to dampen leaf spring travel it shouldn't matter how they are mounted, granted someways allow more travel but nothing extreme, hence the many diff shock setups you see from make and model to make and model

9. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I would have no problem pulling a trailer. But, I would not load up my bed that high or that heavy. I have made my springs too soft to ever carry a real load again. The shocks don't effect payload capacity. Only it's ability to dampen the sway of it. I inboarded only to keep the shocks from topping out on full droop. It was easy & cheap to do and would harm you nothing to try it. You could always switch back if you didn't like it.

10. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

okay thats cool might have to do this one then so i can make a bad arse flex post and be cool like everyone else =P