Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inboard springs and shackle flip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blasterD, Oct 26, 2005.

1. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

So, I borrowed my buddies welder and have been working on my 86 K30 project. I plan to use my stock 56" rear leaf pack reversed and inboarded so that the spring will be directly in line with the frame. Here is a picture of the front hanger I threw together tonight.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

For the shackle hanger I will use a shackle mount similar to what the front end of a Jeep with the front end shackle reversal. I will be shortening the wheelbase by at least 20". I will push the front axle forward 4-6". I'm shooting for around 115-120" wheelbase in the end. I also have a set of Ford 57" rears that will eventually find their way on the front.

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, I don't know how many people inboard their springs around here. I know lots of jeep, toy guys do it. Let us know how it works. You could get lots of body roll. Oh yeah, is your frame painted or what is that white all over it?

3. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I'm hoping that the inboarded springs will flex a little better than in the stock position. That way, I can use stock 1-ton springs to limit axlewrap, but still have good articulation. I already have pretty good flex, but I'm looking for a little more and I wanted to do a shackle flip to get rid of the blocks so I decided to try something different. If it doesn't work I can always go with a DIY4X flip. The white on the frame is just an effect of the camera flash. It's actually brownish-grey.

4. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Anything ever become of this? I'm considering doing it....thanks!

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I put mine inboarded a few inches inward of stock and they seem to give me a little better flex---i didnt do it completly under the frame because I had to make a traction bar and it wouldn't fit where I wanted to put it. Yours will definately work better than stock.

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

make sure you brace the frame up around the mounts. stock chevy frames are really weak especially with twisting force since its only C-channel.
    also mount your shocks in a way that it will help keep sway to a minimum maybe use some stiffer shocks.
    i was gonna do this on mine.
    theres a good write up on pirate
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187592&page=4

7. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the link. I think I'll prolly box my frame and Xmember the hangers.