Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inciting haters...14sf going in!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGEARL, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

Ok guys, after tripping over at least 20 different 14bff's of all the flavors imagineable I ended up bringing home a 6 lug 14sf for the K5. By the way, if your near Chico CA the local j/y has every type of 14bff you could ever want. I spotted 2 eatons also.

Here's what I've gathered from doing countless searches on CK5 and why the 14bsf is a better choice for me.

1.) My Blazer will never see tires bigger than 36", I want to be able to flex it out with minimal rubbing and fender trimming is not an option. A 14bff would be overkill for me since this will be a trail/family/mild wheeling/snow/ take the kids to get a milshake rig.

2.) WMS to WMS is approximately 67". I run alot of snow in the winter and this will get the rear to track almost identically with the front without the use of spacers

3.) Disc brakes are easily adapted

4.) I prefer 15's and the "look" of a 6 lug wheel. I know I am bordering on "blingitude" but hell, if you're gonna build it make something you like.

5.) This rig will never see any hardcore, balls to the wall wheeling. That's what the next one will be for.

6.) I could make a 12bolt live but with a detroit and 36" I know I would be living on borrowed time especially when a ricer w/ a fart muffler pull up next to me and it becomes time to make the glass packs thump right into their drivers side window.

7.) I like to be different, I just don't run across many 14bsf rigs in this area.

I would love to hear from others running a 14bsf. The good, the bad and the ugly!

TIA for all of the info that has been stock piled on this site throughout the years!!

Nate

2. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've been running a 14sf for a while now and absolutely love it. I really like it when I can go over stuff that my buddies (the ones who told me I was wasting my money) get hung up on their snow plow 14ffs. I run 37s and wanted to keep 6 lug, I work it pretty hard and so far the 406 hasn't been able to hurt it at all. All in all I'd run one in a full size before I'd run a 60, and when a person wants to stay 6 lug it's the only reasonable option.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

nice find, those aren't easy to come by. if you any other 14b 6 luggers, id highly recommend scooping them up to sell.

4. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So on the front your keeping the original 1/2 ton 6 lug?

Sounds like a good plan from here.

5. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

For the front I'll be using an early 80's D44, upgraded shafts and crosses, and a selectable locker for running in the white stuff! 4.88 grears, 700r4, NP241 should give me a decent crawl ratio and great highway rpm's.

Nate

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I converted an 8 lug to 6 lug becuase I only run 35's and wanted to keep the stock 6 lug rallies. The only thing I have to complain about is the price for any kind of traction device $$$

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine has a 14bsf (8 lug) stock. I have beat on it pretty well with 35's and my light weight rig and it has held up with no problems.

8. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I just wish I could find one of those darned things.

9. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

8.) A little extra ground chearance under the diff housing.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I haven't seen any kits available, but i haven't really been looking either. Disc's on a FF 14 are cake, but last I heard not quite so easy on an SF. So, is there currently a kit available, and if so do you have a link?

Rene

11. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i have 1 but i have not driven it yet its just setting under my truck till i finish the front. i also have some extra shafts and ring gears just incase i do have a problem. :D