Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inclines, Driveshafts, wheel chocks, and "Park"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Jun 20, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Inclines, Driveshafts, wheel chocks, and \"Park\"

Remembered a few key points the hard way while in a rush to prep for a trip the other night, and just wanted to share.

When in park on an incline without the brake set or a wheel chocked, the driveshaft is keeping your truck from rolling away.
    That darn U-joint wasn't stuck, it was bearing the weight of the truck, and when I got all ticked off and pried it out of the yoke, the truck started rolling, with me half underneath it. It was then that I suddenly realized I must not have punched the brake as usual when I parked it.
    After a tense semi-panic moment, I scrambled out and then let it roll while I grabbed a block of wood to throw under the wheel.
    All at 11:30pm, wife inside in the noise of the air conditioner, nieghbors that hate me and would've ignored any shouts, just to quiet the darn clunk into drive.
    Needless to say, I'm not dead or injured, but I will remember to double check the brake next time I'm going to yank the driveshaft. I thank God that this occured on only a slight incline.

I love my truck, but it's always good to remember, she can kill me without a second thought...

Just wanted to share!

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Inclines, Driveshafts, wheel chocks, and \"Park\"

Thanks for the post. You can not be too careful about this stuff!
    I heard a similar story except the vehicle rolled far enough to grind the dudes scalp through to the bone! Yikes.

Dave

Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

glad you are ok[​IMG]

shannon(mental note always chock the tires when under the truck)

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

good post. I think in the haste of building stuff up or working on projects, we usually overlook the safety aspect of everything. I'm guilty of it too. It'd important to keep in mind, that no matter how awesome your rig is going to look or perform, it wont do you a damn bit of good if you're in a wheelchair or your eyes are burnt out cause you weren't wearing goggles. Yeah, extreme instances, but it only takes once.

Not intended to bash the original poster, but to maybe make a couple people that read this to think before they do. I see this stuff all the time since I'm a double major in ET and Safety.

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm surprised none of my friends on this board haven't made any comments here yet about me. That is EXACTLY how I broke my back in high school. I was too far underneath to get out when it started rolling and to make it even worse I was sitting cross legged. The front axle smashed me down and caused a compression fracture on the T6 vertabra and some bleeding under my breastplate...besides cuts and bruises. You are very lucky.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jeez that is nasty! hope you had a full recovery...?

Dave

Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

When I had my moment in the sun I did'nt fare as well as you,
    I was going to change a rear tranfercase seal on A 73 FJ-55
    It only had 31in tires no lift. I back it up on to some car ramps
    and put a block in front of the tire not a big block but A block I went to pull the driveshaft out and it would'nt move, So i went to take the bolts out of the thing at the diff. I was laying lengthwise under the 55. When the last bolt came out the 55 rolled off the ramps the diff hit me in the head I put my arm up to stop it (yea right) it pinned me there as i yelled for help a neighbor girl heard me and tried to help but was'nt able to. I finally did crawl out and made it over to a neighbors Apt. And asked If he knew any first aid he said yea and called 911. Well after 5hr's of the ER room and a bill for 11,000. For their troubles. I got 25 stitches in my forearm from trying to stop the 55 And i got lots of x-rays they thought i mite of broken my neck. Well i rambled on to long now. My last word on this is don't just put a block put a BLOCK in front a behind the wheels.
    Besafe all Cethern.

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I just did my axle swap and I did a rear disk brake conversion when I did it. I haven't gotten my e-brake cable yet and it is a manual... they are being custom made...

Well am usually VERY carful about blocking the tires etc. whenever I am working on it, but for some reason I didn't block the tires when I started working on my tcase swap.

The guy that was helping me goes, the truck is moving is it in gear, and I go yea but the drive lines are disconnected so it wouldn't do any good, but the tires are (pause) oh sh*t!!! I hurried and ran out and blocked the tires!

I think it is easy for even safety people to forget something here and there so it is probably a good wake up call for all of us!

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

9. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine did this a while ago except it was a suburban and he was on a pretty steep incline. It only cost him a bunch of black and blues and $500 to fix the newer civic that it hit. Be careful!!!!

You call that dirty!?

10. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

Man, that is scary stuff. Glad you made it out ok...I learned the same lesson with a 78 Trans Am, but was watching from the door of the Pizza Hut as it rolled (in park) clicking and clacking out into traffic.

Call me a wussy, but I never do much of anything without a couple of granite chunks in front & behind the tires. Just the way learned it from my dad.

Everybody has so much going on these days, its way too easy to rush and overlook things.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

11. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'd say about a 98% recovery. My back still hurts pretty bad sometimes.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

12. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

96C4

That might have been me! I did this a couple years ago newyorkin so I know the feeling! Except I got nailed in the ribcage by the rear diff. It was the only time I had used a set of those wheel ramps and in a rush (third u-joint in 2 weeks), I jumped under & pried the driveshaft out with no wheel chocks & no park brake! Just plain stupid!!! Luckily; I got away with a few cuts & scrapes & a badly bruised ego! My neighbor saw the Blazer rolling & me under it & his wife called 911!! When I got out from under the Blazer; there was 3 fire trucks & about a dozen fire fighters along with half the neighborhood stopped to see the spectacle!!!

We all have lapses in judgement; consider yourself lucky to be around for the criticism!!

SAFETY FIRST!!!!

Brian
    89KBlazer

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, I'm a lot luckier than I thought. Thanks for the replies, all.

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I usually put mine in 4wd when I do that, using the front driveshaft to hold it from moving. It's always worked fine.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

15. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yea...put in 4wd, don't forget to lock the hubs. But I would still use LARGE blocks. I carry about 6 of em with me. I can use them for blocks. I can also use them to get my butt out of a bad place such as the deep snow I found myself in. Block one tire. Jack up other side tire with one block nderneath to get a halfway solid ground. Put one block underneath jacked up tire. Lower tire onto block. Do this to all 4 tires. If need be make an X out of 2 of em...thats why there is 6. You just took yer rig out of the snow or mud or whatever you are stuck in and put it on blocks. Nifty huh? Hopfully that can get you out. They also come in handy for putting that top back on. Also good for U joints on the trail. Probably someone can think of other ideas for em.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

16. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Wow! I thought I was the only one that had happened to!!! The exact same thing happened to me while I was in my driveway. I jumped my a$$ out of there but the front right tire grazed the back of my neck and upper back and almost yanked my shirt off!!! My back was hurting pretty bad and I could have been killed down there also. I just stepped back and watched my truck roll out into the street thanking God no one was passing by. I escaped with bad scrapes to my neck but most of the damage to me was the friggin' scare. Since then, I have ALWAYS put safety first no matter how small a job I am doing. I felt like an idiot afterwards but hey--at least I was a LIVE IDIOT!!!