Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Increasing GVWR, doable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 6, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know how to do it in reality sake, stronger axles, suspension but anyone ever titled up a vehicle to a higher classification? I am considering it with my burb. Thinking I should fix it up and sell my 97 pickup and just rock the 89 TBI 4 speed burb in a 1 ton trim.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I know how to do it in reality sake, stronger axles, suspension but anyone ever titled up a vehicle to a higher classification? I am considering it with my burb. Thinking I should fix it up and sell my 97 pickup and just rock the 89 TBI 4 speed burb in a 1 ton trim.

[/ QUOTE ]

you figure out how to legally do that and i will be one happy man.. In NJ you can register my 8400gvw pickup at 30,000lbs if you want but that dont matter.. but if I could get the dayum title and vin plate to read 11k that would be sweet... cuz in NJ there are no lift laws on 10.5k and up... so then I could go with my original plans of 53" michelins /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What gvw is a dually rated at?

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What gvw is a dually rated at?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno but my truck is rated at 8400 as it is a 1979 chevy camper special.. even came with 4.56's stock /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dually is usually 10,000.

6. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

My sub is rated at 8600. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My sub is rated at 8600. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] as is my 3/4 ton burb. Over the years the GVWs changed, as noted with the fact that my sub has more of a GVW than the 1 ton above.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my dually weighs 6700lbs with half a tank of gas and nothing else in it.

the dealership skimped out on me and registered it at 8000lbs gvw. according to the GM guys it is rated to pull 10,500 lbs. if iupgrade to 4.56 gears GM says 12'500lbs towing with a 5th wheel or gooseneck.

i did some research and i can title it to a 30,000lbs "comercial" title. BUT i have to get a cdl to do such. even to drive it without anything behing me.

i would also have to upgrade to 4.56 gears and more springs on the helper pack. or stick with my air bag plans.

i do plan on doing this in the future, but not till i get out of the corps. once all the needed work is done then you take it down and have it inspected. also you would be smog exempt in most states. you can really only do this on a one ton due to the frame requirements.
    Grant