Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Indash Lighting setup??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Oct 9, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok here's my question. Is there a way to inhance or change the color of the indash lights Im kinda gettin tired of that dull old lighting in there. Has anyone changed the color like those newer vehicles have if so HOW?? Ive got some fabrication ideas Im gonna work on but wanted to know if yall have done anything. Thanks...

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i am wondering the same thing!

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Theres a guy on here who removed the stock guage panel and put a sheet of aluminum. Then he just drilled the holes for some AFTERMARKET white face guages. Looks VERY nice!! I'll try and find it.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Colored bulbs!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Colored bulbs, or just yank your bulbs and give them a couple of coats with a Sharpie in the color you want. Sounds cheesy, but I did it to the bulb in my first car so the tach would match the dash lights, and it worked pretty good. Autometer makes little light bulb condoms in different colors too, that's the only way to change the color of the light in their gauges. </font color>

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hmmm!! this is giving me some good ideas keep em coming.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually I think in the GM trucks it's a plastic sheet that goes between the bulbs and the outside, I know because mine shifted and I get a yellow light on the side. Put a different color there or get a clear one and color it the color you want.
    Don't color the bulbs because the color will burn, and it might ruin the bulb.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> When I did it it was fine for 3 years and I sold the car with it stil like that. It will fade a bit eventually, but won't burn. I think the plastic sheet thing is a possibility, just make sure it's far enough away from the bulb that it won't melt. </font color>

9. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

use #168 bulb insted of #194

the #168 light a bit more

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I just replaced my bulbs when I had the dash apart and the divider or the thin black plastic peice behind the clear sheet was black on the front and light blue on the back. Smart me I'm thinking paint it white and it should be really bright! OH yeah, not a good idea. The blue acts as a filter for the STD bulbs making the reflected light white. When I painted it white and using std bulbs my gauges now have an orange look from the blue not filtering out the red light waves. Which is not all bad (kind of like adding reb bulbs reflecting from the light blue gives an orangish hue, but it is brighter!). So on my Alpine deck I changed the LED's from green to amber and it looks pretty cool in my Maroon interior at night. I'll try taking some night pics this weekend and post them. I'm guessing paint the back of the plastic reflector what ever color your wanting and use clear bulbs? Might try painting a peice of paper or cardboard to test the color before painting the plastic. I also painted the front part of the plastic silver to match the guage trim and it looks ok, but I would leave it black unless you do white face guages (or sticker gauges like what I was going to do) then I would paint it white. Good luck, Jeremiah /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    There is a few people selling the LED lights for gauges that are hyperwhite LED's. You are supposed to be able to replace the STD buld with the LED for alot more light. If I have to pull my gauges to replace the temp guage I'm ordering the LED's and using my spare gauge clusters divider and painting the flat light blue on the back with a glossy light blue and see if it works better. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last thing I just thought of, to place the stickers on my gauges I used alcohol to clean the surface of the guages. Well lets just say the orange on the gauges is water solible because all my clock,temp,volt guages print is white now (except for the 55 on the speedo). But its all Orange at night!

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

If you can slip a plastic sheet in there, you can buy gels for theater lighting cheap and they have every color you could think of and a few you couldn't. They'll stand so much more heat than you'll ever use in a dash panel, it'll be indestructible.

12. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

I agree on the Gels -- they're intended to withstand some major watt bulbs. Also, you can probably use the scraps from the local community theater -- after heavy usage, they fade in the center, but the edges of the gels still have perfect pigment.

13. jjlaughner

Photos of dash with plastic sheet painted white and the orange reflection thats making... Read the above post for the info...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last one here shows the plastic divider painted silver
    [​IMG]

14. jjlaughner

Another idea is LED's... Most GOOD LED's do not generate heat of any sort and if you go to ebay and buy some out the the auto section they should be geared toward car installations. If you have had the dash apart you will know there is print circuit board in the back that supplies power to the lights. If you get the LED's with the 1.5-2" leads you can position them between the plastic clip that holds the bulb and that circuit board. You can then adjust them to where you want them (just dont cross the leads)! Thats my next plan, LED's and using a different divider. They orange gauges at night now are OK but I want red or something different. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

That's right! I have a few of them myself.

16. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

They sell the exact same bulbs at Autozone etc that are red, blue etc. Buy 'em and replace em....easy! I sprayed mine with hi temp paint back in the "Trans Am" days, it worked great. The only lights that have colored plastic are the signaling lights. The illumination lights are all white.

17. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Do they make a replacement LED, that will plug in the stock light sockets for the guages?

If so does anyone know where to buy them?

Matt

18. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

cant you just pull the old lightbulb out of the plastic thing and put the LED. Sort of like when you replace the bulb on a xmas tree.