Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Independant rear suspension

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Phyte, Oct 12, 2000.

1. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

I can't find a price on these, but I think they make them for all blazer's. There website is currently being rebuilt. For some reason I remember ~$900.. Not to bad since they bolt right in.

[​IMG]

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I dunno, I hear "independent" and I tend to think "Weak-a$$". I mean, look at how poorly the IFS in GM trucks perform. They're expensive to lift, expensive to fix, etc. Gimmie a solid axle any day!! Less to go wrong with!!

ken

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Post a link for the site if ya can. That would be a nice setup on a street Blazer! Maybe the 2WD section will like it better....

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Independent suspensions are the way to go if you can afford to do it right, unfortunately none of us can spend $50,000 on a single CV joint. That would be pretty sweet in a daily driver though.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

What's with that 5 lug rotor, and how low the shock mounts are. It's some way cool fabrication, but I think it's definately for a 4x2.

Cruisin in my '73.

6. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

sure the website is http://constantvelocity.com/ . Its down right now due to a rebuild.. man I hate that.. leave you old site up till the new ones done !! grr.. Anyway check out http://www.urbgorilla.com for a blazer to hummer(type) kit. I think the blazer(short one) looks damn cool. I emailed them and asked if they where working on a full top one. Sure enough.. they will have one done in a few months with full pics on their site.

Phyte

7. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Sorry man, but I got to ask... What are you thinking? Have you ever seen an IFS truck on some rocks? If so... more than likely it did not have all 4 on the ground. Articulation from independent suspension is poor, they are no where near as strong, and they cost alot to lift. Sure, they are great on new trucks. You get great ride quality etc., but they just dont perform like a solid axle. Even hummers have independent suspension, but have you ever seen a hummer on some rocks? Probably not because they cant get there. Sure a Hummer is a great off-road vehicle. Pobably the best ever stock, but they are impossible to modify and they cant compete with everybody who has highly modified solid axle trucks. In other words... Post that on the 4x2 page.

Sparky

78 K-5

8. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

Geez dude way to treat a newbie off roader. I just thought it was cool that I found a company that made parts for K5's. I just got my rig 3 weeks ago and have never been true off roading, so I don't know that a solid axle would out perform a independent setup. Go easy.

Phyte

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is some cool fabrication! But IFS and IRS are generally best left to the street crowd. Although I have seen some trucks that perform well with IFS and IRS its usually expensive and difficult. If you follow the Top Truck Challenge there was a Jeep from BC that won a year or two ago. It was independant front and rear. A complete hybrid custom set-up. It was pretty cool but not exactly a bolt on modification.
    Most of my modifications have to pass a couple of personal rules: Simplicity; if it gets too complicated forget it. Strength; it should be stronger than the part its replacing. Cost; it should'nt require a second mortgage. [​IMG] Function; it should out-perform the part that is being replaced.[​IMG]
    Just my humble, personal opinion.

Rene

[​IMG]

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

(I couldn't have said it better myself Trusty) In most cases simplicity=strength.
    "Simplicity; if it gets too complicated forget it. Strength; it should be stronger than the part its replacing. Cost; it should'nt require a second mortgage. Function; it should out-perform the part that is being replaced."

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

11. CK5

Don't sweat it Phyte, we are all here to learn about the best Damn off-roadin, camper pullin, Jeep running over, american muscle 4x4 ever built. (I could be biased)
    We all have to start somewhere!!

[​IMG]

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Jeep runnin' over?? As an owner of 3 Jeep CJs I take offense (j/k!!). I love my CJs as much as my GM 4x4s, and would rather pilot one any day over a big GM 4x4 in the dunes. It's all about weight for me...I think the lighter weight (by a TON!) of a CJ allows it to be more nimbal while running the big dunes, as well as drag racing up the dunes. The only drawback of Jeeps is that EVERYTHING mechanical has to be replaced!!! Rear end, front end, engine, tranny, well OK the transfers are OK, but MY GAWD!!! GMs are by far better "out of the box"...but then again, how many folks on this board leave em that way?? Sorry to take off on this rant about CJs, I know they're "taboo" here, but I just hadda!!!!

ken

13. CK5

Man, there's one in every crowd!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Phyte: don't sweat it, I'm impressed in how many responces you got. My posts usually get 8 responces at the most. It generated some good discussion.

Cruisin in my '73.

15. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

Believe me I'm not ;) I just had to make the guy feel bad. hehe. I get to do my first mod tomorrow on my newly acquired beast. Cd player! Woohoo!