Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Independence trail CO 9-22

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by Butch, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Seven rigs are already going for this trip anybody in the area that is interested is welcome to come. This is a hardcore trail and is not recommended for the show and shine types, so come one come all

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

2. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

Well you know I'm gonna be there! Just need to make sure I have some extra parts and the right tools! LOL

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Now why are you tempting me like this? How far a drive is it?

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Steve, Independence Trail is located near Penrose, west of Pueblo and southwest of Colorado Springs, off of Highway 115. I was down there one Saturday a few weeks ago and watched several Jeeps (and one totally custom built rig with a Jeep body that the guy said cost over $100K to build) [​IMG] spend about 4 hours to go about 100 yards. Plenty of broken parts, a few Jeeps laying on their sides, lots of winch action, etc.

You hang a right at the sign to Brush Hollow Resevoir, then go to the second street (E Street, if I remember right. It's a dirt road) and just keep driving. The street narrows and then literally ends at the trail head.

Bring plenty of water along. The trail is in a desert type area and it gets hot down in that chute during the day. BTW, there's pleny of parking within a very short distance to the trail, so even the Show and Shine crowd can drive up close then get out and watch the carnage. [​IMG] You could drive a Buick right to the beginning of the trail but it gets ugly real fast in the next few feet!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

Steve it should take about an hour and a half to get there.It would be way cool to see you there.

6. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

Steve, if your not going.......
    Can I borrow your blazer that weekend? I might need to borrow it the first weekend in September also!

7. fink

fink Registered Member

Im interested. Are yall just gonna meet down there or ride single file. Ill be coming from the springs.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Why not Kim, I don't seem to be able to use it much this summer. [​IMG]

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Sean,
    Greg lives in the springs and me and Ken come from Denver area. So we could meet somewhere there if you like. The other trucks are coming from the gunnison area.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

10. bitchin4x4

bitchin4x4 1/2 ton status

Trail info:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.4x4now.com/trcois.htm>Independence Trail</a>

If it ain't broke, break it!

11. HarryH3

That's a great trip report! I can't wait to watch K5's going through there! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

12. bitchin4x4

I think I will go out and watch this time... unless I get a wild hair and decide to do it, highly unlikely though! [​IMG]

13. co.offroad

co.offroad Registered Member

guys i hope you dont mind but myself (71 jimmy)and some others(73k5blazer,72blazerframedpickup)and many more are heading down to watch the carnage!!!! hope i dont get sucked in!!!! lol!!!

14. jello

jello Registered Member

Sean, i will loan you my truck for the ride- Im really worried that that orange roach, you call a blazer, wont make it down there on the road- much less work or go anywhere off the pavement. Loaning you a reliable truck is the least I could do for a family member.

15. fink

fink Registered Member

jeff Dont know exactly what your trying to say , but are you the guy w/ the overpriced blazer. he he ......

16. jello

jello Registered Member

Boy you got that right, I'm that guy. Sorry for being mean with those earlier coments, its actualy a good machine that you've tweaked well. Have a wonderful time on the trail!

17. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Have fun guys, I'll be out of town. Don't break too much.
    My pictures should be in today of Moab. I'll post them as soon as I can. Thanks again Greg for the great shots.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

18. HarryH3

Do you guys have a schedule for this weekend? When are you planning to arrive? What time will you be attacking the trail? I'm planning to forego a day in the garage and come watch the carnage, er, fun! [​IMG]

19. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming that we will be starting at about 8-830, 9 at the very latest. I still need to look at my truck to make sure all is good with it but dont anticipate any problems. I still need to install my Lincoln locker for the weekend, but that also is not that big of a deal.

20. bitchin4x4

Directions

The Independence Trail System is located near Penrose, Colorado less than an hour away from Colorado Springs. Turn from Highway 115 on 3rd Street and follow the signs to the Brush Hollow Reservoir boat ramp. The trail starts about a mile past the reservoir. (First left after the cattle guard) A large steel sign with directions and warnings marks the staging area. Don’t take these warnings lightly, you will do body damage and at least one person in a group will probably have some type of mechanical failure. Basically if you don’t want to screw up, leave it at the trail head! The whole trail is extremely tight and there is little room to stop or let a vehicle pass.