Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

INDEXing spark plugs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Slayer, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=blue>Anyone ever taken the time to index the spark plugs on their V-8?????
    </font color=blue><font color=red>
    I have done this for years on motorcycles, but of course it's really easy to get to the plugs. And with my DynoMax headers, it takes a contortionist to get to the plugs.
    </font color=red><font color=green>
    Just wondering. The racers say that they ALL index, but didn't know if it was worth all the trouble for a daily driver.
    </font color=green>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I have dynomax headers, and its no problem to get to the spark plugs. You just have to use an open end wrench instead of a spark plug socket on a couple of the plugs.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

3. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

it was good for 50 rpm on my seadoo.....

greg

** i'm so money **

4. Kent5

Kent5 Registered Member

If I remember correctly, indexing is mainly to enhance high-rpm flame propagation in the cylinder.

So on a street driven vehicle which sees mainly low- to mid-RPM use, I would think indexing would have little if any noticeable effect.

Cheers,
    Kent

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I suppose that depends on why your indexing your plugs. If your running and extremely high compresion ratio and a tight chamber you may need to index your plug to avoid the piston making contact with the plug. If your barely pushing the ping (detonation) envelope you can shroud the plug by indexing it away from center and slow the burn process ( a good track fix but better to fix the root of problem). If your doing it for an efficient burn its not a bad idea but don't expect to get any real noticeable results from it in a daily driver other than about 50 cents a tank. I do it mostly because I believe in attention to detail and while something this small makes very little difference, combined with a bunch of other little motor tweaks you can begin to measure some noticeable differences.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>