Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Indy/F-1 Cars at Talladega?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Okay, first off, I came up with this idea.

Anyway, since the Talladega race got postponed today, an idea came to me. Why not bring some of the open-wheel, Indy/Formula One style racecars to Talladega, and also Daytona if they don't already run at Daytona? It'd be nice to see racecars actually running 200+ on 'Dega's high banks again. What do y'all think? Think you'd like to see Danica Patrick blasting down Talladega's backstretch at 240, possibly 250+ and running on 'Dega's banks?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ever noticed that the Indy/F1 tracks are flat? Good reason for that it's called aerodynamics. If one of those cars tried taking a bank at 200+ you would see major carnage. They are designed for flat tracks.

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

What about Texas Motor Speedway? I heard that CART one time wanted to give racing there a try, but they cancelled the race because the drivers started getting dizzy from the g-forces during practice.

Hmm, that may be another reason why open wheel cars won't come to Talladega, the speeds would be so high the drivers would start feeling light headed. I guess that answers my question too then if Indy cars ever run at Daytona.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Didn't You read a word I said? They are not aerodynamically designed for running on a banked track. Ever wonder why teams in NASCAR have so many cars? It's cause they are all shaped differently for the different types of tracks. The winning car from the Brickyard probably wouldn't even finish a race at Talladega let alone make it out in one piece.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

F1 cars have their roll center below the surface of the track. It would be impossible for the car to handle a banked track just because of it's ground clearance and handling characteristics.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

hate to burst your bubble bud, but there's a nice 2 1/2 mile banked super speedway about 3 hours from here that i think they might have thought about running them on before. i think they call it Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

I guess then that the Indy car that A.J. Foyt drove to 217 mph there during a test in 1974 was vastly different than today's Indy Cars.

What inspired this brainstorming anyway was me digging up the news article of when Rusty Wallage took one of his racecars with an unrestricted engine and ran 228 on the track on June 10, 2004 during a special high-speed in-car radio speed test.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Banked as compared to Talledaga and Daytona! I think not. Turncoat:wink1:

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

JESUS MAN! I DIDNT KNOW YOU WERE A ROCKET SCIENTIST?! :screwy:

do you know why they run restrictor plates? because the track is TOO DAMNED FAST. its unsafe for the drivers, so they decided to slow the cars down. ah, what the hell, lets throw some cars out there that'll run 50+ mph faster, and call it good. at least the crashes would be spectacular.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

having walked the banks at Indy, i can assure you, its closer to Talledega or Daytona than it is to a flat track. where i come from, a flat track is just that, completely flat.

11. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

To stir the pot a little more, what do yall think of them changin the bumpers on the cars for 'dega? Think we see less bump drafting?

I

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Maybe you should go rewalk that again because the straights are completely flat there and the turns are only 9 degrees. Talladega straights are 12 degrees and the turns are 33 degrees. So not even near close to being the same....

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What has already been said...................................

If they were anywhere in the neighborhood, the cars would be somewhat the same as the Daytona/Talladega cars.......................

Now if you would quit trying to blow up the ego of Indy, we can get onto real discussions.......................................:haha:

Fact is this, Bobby Allison's wreck in what '86, '88 is what brought this whole restrictor plate business. Going through the turn at 210, blowing a tire and going airborne into the catch fence was kind of wild watching live on TV, but damn scary though.

Anyone who saw Tony's wreck during the Busch race probably noticed that the roof flaps did not work. We all know why those came into existance was because these cars at the speeds they run now at Daytona and 'Dega like to go airborne. You tack on another 30-40 mph onto that, the roof flaps, though usually in the position to work, will more than likely not at those speeds. I don't know about you, but I'd rather sacrifice a little entertainment value for the safety of the drivers. What was Dale Sr. running when he smacked the wall, maybe 170 after the speed was bled off? HANS devices, SAFER barriers, I wouldn't want to be the first to 90 degree a wall at 210-220 miles an hour.

Hopefully the COT will bring back some old school racing to the super speedways.....................

14. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

What?

Down-force is down-force... At 240+ MPH banking on the corners would help by giving the centrifugal force an edge to push against. In fact I would venture to say that the BEST conditions to run a down-force car would be 250MPH on a 90deg bank. Like one of those carnival rides that spins you around until you can pick up your feet and stick to the wall.

I gotta disagree with ya on this one.

Perhaps they don't let them play on the banks because they would go even faster than they do now.

15. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I would think the issues would be approach and departure angles.

16. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

HAHA...

I was about to explain the intricacies of racing and then BAM!!! it hits me... you mean the whole 90deg banking... see my mom was wrong. I am NOT a spoon in a drawer full of knives ... LOL

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the turns are actually 12*... google it. a flat track looks like this all the way around... ___________

a banked track looks like this... \ /

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't know about you, but the thought of a handful of IRL/Champ/whateverthehellthey'recallingthemselvesthisyear cars touching tires, or just one touching the wall, at 250+, is a scary thing. Even with all the energy-absorbing features of those cars, I don't think it'd be survivable. Plus, they'd probably toss all kinds of shrapnel into the stands as they fragmented. Not good for bidness...

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You ain't gonna give it up are ya???????????????:D :D :D

12 degrees is flat compared to the banks of Talladega and Daytona. It's like comparing DD's to an A cup...........................

20. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Alright so the site I got that from was outdated... Its still only 12 freakin degrees compared to 33 at Talladega and 31 at Daytona... So basically its flat compared to those