Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inexpensive 6 point roll cages Who would buy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Here is the deal. Company I work for I no longer feel like I have ANY job security. I figure I'll be unemployed by the first of next year as I think my possistion will be eliminated. There is a Hiring freeze that has been off and on for 2 years and I have not been able to move to a possition with some security.
    So I have been trying to figure out some stuff I can do and be self employed. The buisness I'm currently in it's not hard to do this and if they pass these Handsfree laws I'll be able to make a decent living /forums/images/icons/smile.gif What I need to do is get some extra cash flowing now so when that day comes I have some reserves while I get that set up. Something I can do on the weekends and evenings. My Bud is a locksmith so I may do some lock out work for him in the evenings. Both these Jobs would leave me some free time durring the day if I do get layed off. What I'm thinking is leading back to the title of the post.
    I have some very big ideas for my truck including setting it up prerunner style. I need a Tube bender to make it a reality. I have a 75 and a 79 K5 here so I have at my disposal the means to test fit everything from 73-79.
    While we have several people making bumpers and stuff other that S&W I don't see anybody making cages. I thought about making some prefab roll cage kits I could sell to make me some mad money and build my Reserves (and pay for some new expensive tools).
    I was thinking of selling simple 6 point cages that come prebent and ready to weld. I mean ready to weld...no trimming and notching like many of the kits available require. It would be totaly designed for the guy with a welder. Complete instruction on how to assemble and install. It would be designed in such a way that all but two of the welds would be done outside the vehicle. The only welding needed to be done in the vehicle on the base kit would be joining the front cage to the the rear cage. The location of that joint would be about 3-4 inches beyond the hard top. Would not interfere with factory belts at all. Might even make that connection a bolt in deal for those that wouldn't want to do any welding inside the truck. That would also mean tha it could be installed without removing any of the interrior. Just pull up the carpet in a few spots. Afternoon install type deal. Also do some extra add on features for set prices like grab handles, Extra cross bars for 4 point belts etc.
    THe base cage would be a 6 point family style fast back cage like the one I run in my truck. It would be basic with no cross bars I think I could price it in the $300-350 range depending on price of material. THen add on the shipping. Give the option of stepping up to DOM for those that want it for a few bucks more. As I get some sales then I can do some extra stuff like a front kit for making a pre runner dash for instance.
    Would folks be interested in something like this? For me to do it right I would have to build a set of jigs that would mimic the floor of the truck so I could make sure that every cage is Identical and will fit correctly. Then If somebody wanted to ad on stuff at a later date I could sell in moduals and be sure it would fit. Every cage I produced.
    Might be able to work with Steve and have it up on OffCamber 4x4 so you could do credit card orders (and Steve could make a few bucks to boot).
    SO before I lay out $1k for a bender...how many people would be interested in this (plus I have to know to make the sale to the Lady /forums/images/icons/blush.gif )?

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'm in the process of looking for a K5, but they are hard to find in Michigan in the price range I can afford. If I bought a K5, I'd be interested in a cage like that... although I'll probably end up getting a pickup truck. Could you do cage kits for pickups?

3. Grim-Reaper

Yeah I figured I would branch out and do cages for other trucks also. I have a bud with a Cheorkee that will need a cage in a few months so I'll keep mesurments for it. If I can get a truck where I could have it a while so I could figure out how to make it I don't sea a reason why I couldn't Heck Dep has a truck cab I might be able to use as a mock upif it isn't gone by that point.
    THis is atleast a month off if ever but trying to gage interest. I know I can get some sales from folks in my club.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    depending on what I can find and what I need to do to it so that the rig is trailworthy, yeah I'd buy a cage. It all falls back on the cash situation, I need to buy the truck before the cage.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey grimmy i would like one /forums/images/icons/grin.gif and i don't have to pay for shipping /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif. i wasn't planning on doing a cage until next year but i'll take one when ever i can get one, so anytime i'm ready for one. count me in

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would want one i need and want a cage very badly /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Only problem I see is with repeatability. Just getting the measurements will not be enough to produce cages that fit consistently, IMO. My limited experience with a tubing bender (and other similar construction efforts) would lead me to believe that the only way to produce cages that fit consistently would be to at least have a trial fit cab handy or, better yet, setup a construction jig... I've thought about doing something like this myself to help fund my project and justify these expensive tools I'm accumulating. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Reread my second to last paragraph. That's what I planned on doing. I think I would have to include a spacer out of some 3/8's ply wood for folks to use when allinging the tube to weld the brow bar in so that it will line up correctly when they go to attach it to the rear section of the cage. My goal is that all welding but joining the cage halfs can be done on the floor so the person assembling can turn the cage and get access at the welding points. Welding on the flat is pretty easy. It's welding upside down and vertical that most people have troubles with. I think I'll offer it with a bolt on sleeve for those that are novice welders. Honestly if I had it welded and bolt it I could sell a few like that but shipping a assembled cage would be VERY pricy. It would be about 6.5-6ft wide about 7 foot long and four feet high on a pallet. I guess I could offer it that way if they were willing to pay for the extra shipping. Not sure if I could get residential delivery on that or not. It would be a true bolt in though and for some it would be worth it I' m sure if you look at them having to pay somebody to weld it or buy a welder.

9. Grim-Reaper

You might be guinny pig #1 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Let you have at it and see if you have any trouble installing it and make sure it's right before I sell them.
    More I think about it the more I want to do it.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oops, somehow I missed that whole paragraph. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Sorry 'bout that, good luck on your project...

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

OTAY, just sat the word.

12. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Grim unless it is a full convertable you could not send it assembled or the front legs will not go under the roof.

13. Grim-Reaper

Yeah It would be two section. Front legs with brow bar and then rear cage. Bolt together with a sleave at the B pillar. Not quite as good as a weld there but for a half top truck it will not be as big of a problem in that area. The cab will absorb a lot of the force at that point before the cage would become involved. Only exception is if the truck came down on a rear corner it might try to drive it forward but it would not be a sheering direction it would be in line with the tube so should not be an issue. Full top it might be more of an issue. I think as long as that sleeve is a good fit it should be ok. Might make DOM a necessity on the front legs if the customer didn't want to go all DOM.
    My cage in my 75 is so tight it won't come out. It's a family cage so the rear legs go right into the back corners so you can't move it back from under the windshild. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

They'd either bolt together in weld together. Like you said no way to install them otherwise... not to mention shipping something assembled would be interesting to say the least... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Sorry about the J.O.B.(Just Over Broke!) situatuion, I just went through the old we gotta close the plant down! That left me hi n dry! I was training to be a RF tech! well thats gone and so is the good money. I would be interested if you lived a bit closer.........I found a shop out here that will build and install full cage with O-Snitz handles for the passenger, tabs for Fire Ext. also add my pre-runner tire carrier to the cage in my 76 weld,paint,fabetc....$750.00! No Fuss no Muss! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I'll let ya work a proto for the 3rd generation on my 84. Sound awesome to me. Want one already. The only thing that you would have to keep in mind is a disclaimer to take liability off of you if one should happen to crush at the weld or something. All the liability from you. Like not intended as safty device,Only for looks. An attorney would be able to do this fairly cheap. You know how suee happy some people are. You have a great idea and I think it would go over very big around here. Good luck and let us know if and when you convince the wife.

17. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I would be interested in it if you could build a half welded half bolted design for a suburban, family style all the way back. The front would be difficult due to my lack of removable top. I've tried to think of a way to do it without welding in my truck. My other thought was an exterior design which removed at the base kind of like a bed rack. Just a wild idea. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well Grimster, Like we talked about the other day. I, along with what seems to be alot of other simular thinking minds. I would be very interested in doing some sorta co-hoots with you as the Nashville, TN branch or something of the sort. You send up the proto. I'll destroy it in the process of disecting it thouroughly. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    By all means I think this has some potential. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Grimmy, you think you could have me one ready in 3 weeks? I need it before Dixie run. If not, I will have to get a buddy of mine that has a tubing bender to make some extra time for me.

Mike

20. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Post when you start going on it, I'm busy trying to figure out the bending part of it all. I would gladly pay for it to be somebody else's headache /forums/images/icons/grin.gif