Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inexpensive CB

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BurbLover, May 5, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for a CB for my wifes/family Burb. Will be used very rarely. Primarily when we take two vehcile camping. Anyway, is there anything dcent for under $50. Also looking for 4' whip antenna to mount on mirror. Any good places to buy one as I haven't found locally (Colorado Springs) in a store.

Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ebay is a good place to find items like that for cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

A uniden 510-XL is an inexpensive radio that will work just fine for you. Wal-Mart sells radios, most Radio-Shacks do also. If you have any truckstops near you they sell cb's reasonably also and would be the best place to buy one. If you have a truckstop near you see if they have a "Francis" brand antenna, they are cheap and work great. If it's a 1973 to 1990something? sub with the chrome mirrors, there is a special mirror bracket made for them, also available at most truckstops.

4. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Mark,

Go to Uniden's website on the internet, they sell the 510 recondidtioned, and a smoking price. I have 4 of them, and have had all peaked and tuned for 25bucks. The work forever and give great response. Don't go cheap on the antenna. I use either firestick or a wilson 1000. I really like the wilson 1000 now better than the firestick. Best tune I ever got has been with the wilson 1000.

Raidos are only as good as the antenna.

Good luck.

Rob

5. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Mark,
    I bought the one in the K5 at the Tomahawk station in Fountain. Got a Cobra and a 4' whip with mirror mount for less than $70. Been using it for a couple weeks and haven't had a problem.

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I was gonna check the Tomahawk out, as well as compare it to the Wal-Mart Uniden. Then make a decision. I've always had good luck with Cobra. I've got a Cobra WeatherChannel setup in my old Burb & a K40 antenna that I'm gonna put in the K5. Thanks for the info.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If you still need the GM mirror mount you can have mine if you pay for shipping...

8. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

dont mount it on your mirror, i got a free cb and have been reading online about which antenna and all the tips i read said to put tthe antenna on the top in the middle of your truck you'll get better reception...just my 2 cents

9. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    dont mount it on your mirror, i got a free cb and have been reading online about which antenna and all the tips i read said to put tthe antenna on the top in the middle of your truck you'll get better reception...just my 2 cents

[/ QUOTE ]

To an extent you are correct. For talking to someone else on the highway or trail though antenna location really isn't very important, and no differences in performance will be noticed regardless of antenna location. The main thing is to have a good ground (bracket mounted to metal).