Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

INFAMOUS SLIP YOKE LEAK ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Feb 20, 2002.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

did a search for the source of my leak, and read about a hole for grease or something, but i pulled the shaft, and do not see this "hole" can somebody help me find the leak sourdce?
    i have the shaft out and am prepared to weld it up, if i just knew where to weld
    thanks

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I believe that hole you are refering to is on what I'd call the male end of the shaft. (The cleaner side that inserts into the case) You will more than likely have to pop out the front u-joint and weld the hole thats dead center of that part of the yoke. Could it just be a bad seal and not the shaft?

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am wondering the same thing. I don't have my truck here to check. (at college) Another source of the leak could be the rear output seal. I replaced mine, but I think my truck still leaks.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i removed the yoke from the shaft and 1/2 filled with tranny fluid, and blew into the end, and all around the the inside of the yoke, little drops of fluid came out. there was no "hole", it was almost like a freeeze plug, and it was leaking all the way around, so out came the welder adn grinder. it took about an hour, because i did not get it on the first pass, i got in a hurry, and then had to keep cleaning and filling and grinding, but the leak is now no more. as much as i struggled, i think it would have been worth the cost of a new yoke. But at least it is done.
    thanks

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's