Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Info about 92 350/manual 4X4 Blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm guy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    I'm looking at getting a 92 350/manual 4X4 Blazer to replace my 88 K5 which needs major work and will be a trail rig when it gets back on the road. This 92 Blazer has 100,000 miles and it was a gov owned truck with reg. maint.

What do yall think?

I'm having trouble finding info in the motor, trans, axles ect.

Is the 92 350 a TPI or TBI? I need to know if the 5 speed manual trans is any good aswell as the axles ect.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Front is IFS, no solid axle. Rear is just a 10 bolt, same as in your 88 K5.

Engine, TBI 350. Me, I hate TBI and think the engines were underpowered for use in trucks.

Transmissions, Getrag 5 speed. Forget the model number... IMO the trans is junk. I know a kid who blew one to pieces(literally) with just a stock TBI 350 in front of it. Granted he was mean to that thing, but my SM465 has put up with A LOT more abuse.

Now, if it is a deal, I wouldn't just write it off. personally I'd like to get a 92+ Blazer. But I would build it into a trail rig, lose the IFS, lose the 10 bolt, and do my own thing with the engine and trans. Again, if its a deal, don't just turn away from it.

3. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

I should clearify this will be a road only truck, I just want the 4X4 for the snow. The 88 K5 will the be the trail rig. Thanks for the input, keep it coming!!!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

for a dd street vehicle it will do just fine. I can't leave anything well enough alone so it wouldn't work for me. but for a more sane person, it would probably work out just fine. I'm sure there are guys out there with 300,000 miles on a Getrag that all it has ever needed was a clutch.

5. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Thanks.