Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Info/help with 241 internals (problem)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Apr 10, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, the T-case (possibly the rear end, not the gears I know) has been making this loud single pop up around crauising speeds. Nothing consistant.
    When I went through it, The 241, I found the shift fork teflon pads had come off and were floating around in the fluid. Which very well could have been the problem. So I got new ones, rebuilt the case. Couple days later Wham!! Same thing.
    Almost feels like its jumping outta gear and right back in.
    So they may have come off again or possibly the range fork is bent or something. I drove it to work today in 4hi with the front shaft out and it still did it, so Im not thinking a shifter adjustment would help. Any ideas folks? One more note: Its not the Transmission and its not the Ring and Pinion! These things I know.

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Dont everybody answer at once! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe if you told the story of what you did to it just before you started having problems someone might have a better idea.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

But that would be incriminating!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Ok, so I was out wheeling the piss outta the rig and got a little ahead of myself in a nasty situation and shifted from 4 low up to 4hi (without coming to a full stop) and we got a little grindage sound).
    Well, everything seemed to have been ok for the rest of the day till we got back on the black top and the T-case starts making this random popping noise. Like it was trying to jump outta gear or something, or maybe even like a tooth off a gear was missing or something along those lines.
    As you can see from the first post, I thought it was the pads floating around in the fluid. I replaced them and its still doing it.

5. tRustyK5

Do you have the May 2002 4 wheel and off road? p. 66 there is an artical on a rebuild of the 241. You can see the collar I was talking about in the upper left of the page right behind the planetary. I'd guess it might be damaged because it would be the piece taking the abuse when you shifted from high to low range while moving...

Rene

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'll have a look at the mag when I get home. I have read it, but my retention level is less than admirable.

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, lets say I pull this dog apart again this weekend and I find the teflon shoes/pads are floating in fluid again. Do you think a touch of JB weld or something like that under each pad would be enough to hold them in place as they ride the shift forks?

8. tRustyK5

I'd try and clean em up with Brake Kleen and then maybe use a two part epoxy glue or something.

Rene

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Gotcha!