Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Info needed from those with 12 inches...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, Jun 15, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what type of steering set-ups are being used with 12" lifts on the 73-87(91) trucks, and how well it works. My friend just put custom 16" leafs under his truck with a D44 and it doesn't steer very well at all. He used a drop pitman arm, dropped drag link, raised steering arm, and a 3" steering block between the steering arm and knuckle - and the draglink still has some downward angle on it. Will the pitman arm, dropped drag link, and steering arm (without the 3" block) work ok or should I just spend the $$$ on crossover(for a D44). I can get the parts from him very cheap. The truck will see mostly street use and sometimes mud, nothing too crazy. Opinions and advice are welcome /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

crossover /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

She likes the 12" very well, err, your not talking about that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Crossover is the only way your ever going to have any kind of respectable steering with that much lift. You are going to have a lot of bumpsteer even with the corrected steering components which only help the draglink angles and not the steering.

4. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    She likes the 12" very well, err, your not talking about that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. kennyw

I knew you would appriciate that since you are a truck driver /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmm only liars gonna answer this one. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well with 12" I don't see why a 4" arm, 4" dropped drag link, and a 3" block wouldn't work just fine. That would about return it to the stock angle. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    Well with 12" I don't see why a 4" arm, 4" dropped drag link, and a 3" block wouldn't work just fine. That would about return it to the stock angle. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It does return the drag link ends close to the stock angle but the effective lever is the straight line between the pivot point and the actuator (steering box) which is no longer as close as it used to be. Then throw in the extra travel it is probably capable of and things can get ugly.

9. ugly_blazer

Thats what I was thinking, only I would use the pitman arm instead of the 3" block. The longer bolts through the block seem like they could snap easy and that scares me. The D44 will only have 39.5's (12 suspension + 3 body and 39.5's /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif) and later if I get a D60 I'll run 44's.

I am starting to think that the crossover may be the best route to go though/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does return the drag link ends close to the stock angle but the effective lever is the straight line between the pivot point and the actuator (steering box) which is no longer as close as it used to be. Then throw in the extra travel it is probably capable of and things can get ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I understand what you mean by the effective lever, if I look at my friends it is more like a link straight up and down instead of front to back.

11. kennyw

Yep, this is where those high school geometry classes are important /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That sharp angle gives you less power to steer with if you are in gooey mud or up against rocks. Plus it has a tendancy to break the studs easier. Then when you hit bumps the distance between the pivot point on your axle and the steering box changes faster than in the stock location causing excessive bump steer (wandering).

12. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

i had the same set up on my sub and i had to use all 4 lanes to turn around and i still ran up on the curb. the steering sucks, so i parked it and ordered all the crossover stuff.

13. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i have 10 inches or so lift

i have a drop pitman, offset draglink, and raised steering arm. i have maintained the stock caster camber (divorced tcase), and have very litte complaints in my steering. it does turn slighty sharper one direction but it is hardly noticable if you didnt turn circles in a parking lot.

crossover is probably the right way to go, but if you can find parts cheap like i did it will get you buy untill you have the cash to do crossover.

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have 10 inches or so lift

i have a drop pitman, offset draglink, and raised steering arm. i have maintained the stock caster camber (divorced tcase), and have very litte complaints in my steering. it does turn slighty sharper one direction but it is hardly noticable if you didnt turn circles in a parking lot.

crossover is probably the right way to go, but if you can find parts cheap like i did it will get you buy untill you have the cash to do crossover.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. When I had my 10b and 42's with 11" lift, it worked fine, I had no complaints. I had raised steering arm and dropped draglink, steering was also really easy.