Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Info on 84 Bobtail plane tug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by glenntx, May 12, 2004.

1. glenntx

glenntx Registered Member

Bought this the other day: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=5348&item=2477329435&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT

My plan is strip the huge axles off, get some spring hangers installed, then install the D60 front w/ electrac and 14 bolt rear w/ detroit, off my wagoneer and go wheeling.

Should I just get some spring hangers from a junkyard? Or are there better options? I was thinking on the rear of the rear spring I might flip the hanger so the shackle will hang down. Any thoughts?

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would be tempted to just leave it the way it is except I would tear out the 6.2 Diesel, and install a 454 Big Block in it. It would be the ultimate Rock Crawler.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

SWEET! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Any way to use those axles (4 wheel steering!), remove a bunch of weight, cage it and go with 44's?

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

6.2 seems like it would crawl just fine, and the economy would be nice. Also the thing only goes 10-15mph in the current set-up, don't need much engine with that kind of gear reduction.

I am suprised to read that you want to swap axles. You paid a lot of money, and I'd think that those unique axles would be the reason. Why pay that much just to strip the axles /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif You could have got any truck and done that. But its your truck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. glenntx

I bought it primarily for the low miles (7500). The axles have a total gear ratio of around 18:1, 3:1 at the diffs and 6:1 at the hubs. I'm hoping to sell these to someone building a rockcrawler or monster truck or something. If I could figure out a way to change the ratio back to 1:1 at the hubs I think I would keep the axles as they are and just add leafsprings. I'll have to find out if that's possible.

6. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Send me a pm with your info.
    I may be intrested in your axles.
    I have a few m1008's & lots of parts.

7. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

That has an iteresting clocking position of th transfer case. I bet some people with super tall lifts might be intersted in that adapter !
    Blake

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Just remember - the factory setup has zero travel!!! So no go on the excellent rock crawler with no suspension! I think you would be better off buying a stock GM truck with running motor and t-case because this setup would be super heavy and has no advantage over any other GM truck in my opinion.

9. glenntx

Yeah, like I said in the first post, it's definitly gonna need some springs. I'll have to extend the frame farther back to run rear leaf springs.

Anyone have any leads on some weld on, or bolt on, spring hangers?

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would leave the frame the same length it is now and go with a four link coil over suspension. Sell the axels to someone else and run either 1 ton axels or 2 1/2 ton Rockwells. Ditch the 208 in favor of a doubler. Cut off the step and call it good.

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought it primarily for the low miles (7500).

[/ QUOTE ]

not to rain on your parade but did they give you any idea about how many hours were on it? does it have an hour clock (time engine was running). it would not suprise me if that thing had thousands and thousands hours on the engine, not just 7500 miles of driving time.
    But i hope it works well for ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif