Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Info on 90's GM truck motors?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric W, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

Are there any info pages on the net about 90's GM truck motors? I found plenty for 73-87 models but nothing on 1990's truck motors. In preparation of getting a K5, I want to explore all options of future upgradability since the truck I'm most likely to get is a 305 2 barrel carb'd unit. Ive never swapped an engine before but I figure a truck would be a great platform to start out on. I'm actually entertaining the idea of using a LT1 motor. They're fairly cheap (compared to LS1 or LS2), plenty of performance parts. I have an LS1 in my cage right now but those are expensive to buy and LT1's have better low end torque which would be great for off-roading.

Basically I'm looking for- fuel injection, more HP and torque, and better efficiency then the 305 from an 86 model. I also thought about the possibilty of diesel but the conversion would be very expensive, not to mention I don't know a thing about diesel motors.

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I would pass on an LT1. I happen to have one and it works real well for what I do, but it does have a few weak links including the Optispark distributor. I would consider a 96-up Vortec 350. They are getting cheaper, make good power and are somewhat upgraduble (although the aftermarket has overlooked the Vortec).

3. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member