Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Info on chevy cucv(diesel newbie)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by uao85, Jul 2, 2004.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about investing in an ex military m1008a1 pretty soon, and I know they have the 6.2, which is a dog when kept stock. And was wondering what I can do to it to pump some power out of it. Would it be worth it to beef up the 6.2, or should I just do a cummins swap with a banks power pack. I would really love to keep the 6.2, but I need to know if it is feesable and ideal to do a few mods to make some decent power(400 IBs/Tq range). Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Remington

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Banks sidewinder kit would bump it up to just over 400 ft lbs. would run you a ton cheaper than a cummins to boot.

3. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

ARVEETEK knows a lot about chevy diesels. The link is to his turbo 6.2 project. The basic mods you can do (assuming you have a good pump/injectors/glowplugs) are to get an EGT gauge, then you can turn up the pump. You can also port match the intake. The 1008 will already have the J-code intake (Good). A free flowing exaust will help some too. Anything more than this and you will probably be looking at a turbo upgrade. Banks makes a turbo kit that by itself is good for about 200hp and 400ft/lbs. Here is the DYNO sheet. If you still need more, you should probably look into the Cummins swap.

Here is a post on turning up the pump.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever done a twin turbo'd 6.2L or even 6.5L? I think it'd be really cool, single turbos on V-8's dont make much sense to me You have two seperate exhausts systems, so why not two seperate turbos? I dont know if a stock 6.2L rotating assembly can handle it or even how much boost it would make, but it seems like it would be cool

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I beleive its been done, or at least talked about. Having 2 turbo's doesnt always mean more boost, but usually quicker spool up time. since you are spooling up two small turbo's, they spool quick, with almost no lag.

6. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

The only problem I see with twin turbo is cost. The turbo is by far the most expensive part of the kit. From a performance standpoint, a commonly available single turbo can be set up to provide more boost than a 6.2/6.5 can handle. Twin turbos would simplify the plumbing some. The best thing about a twin turbo would be the cool factor.

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

having them spool out quicker, even tho still the same boost would be pretty cool...what would be required anyways to make a 6.2 strong enough for some serious boost?? I have seen the f250 and 350's doing the diesel drags with like 99 psi boost!!

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

That is very true- However, plumbing seems to be somewhat of an annoyance-. The banks turbo looks like it only uses one exhaust side of the v8 to get its boost- Turbo size isnt really an issue, its easy enough to install a boost controller to limit boost-however, placement of the turbo is my concern- Would it be odd to place the turbo where the two manifolds meet? I've seen most people mount the turbo as close to the engine as possible. just wondering whats so bad about mounting it further away.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Has anyone ever done a twin turbo'd 6.2L or even 6.5L? I think it'd be really cool, single turbos on V-8's dont make much sense to me . You have two seperate exhausts systems, so why not two seperate turbos? I dont know if a stock 6.2L rotating assembly can handle it or even how much boost it would make, but it seems like it would be cool
    [/ QUOTE ]

It has been done, a lot.
    Lots of people that drag their diesel have put twins.
    The practice is going smaller but on some I have seen big turbos and serious power, reliability becomes an issue but for drag races I don;t think they care.
    Personnaly I will be trying a setup like that on the boat if I ever get my friend to sell it to me.

As for being far from the engine POOKSTER, I think it could work but remember you have 2 things you are connecting, exhaust and intake:
    Having the intake further can give you room to add an intercooler but also make it too far for a good response, that is why all turbos are hugging the block to have a short runner.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Well, I can get a small turbo off an import car such as a subaru or an evo pretty easily- its intriguing, because the stock exahust on those vehicles are already 2" or so, while an aftermarket turboback will be around 3-3.5". So I figure that while it is a smaller turbo (not that the turbo included with banks is that large either), but putting one on each side should provide some good results!

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    That is very true- However, plumbing seems to be somewhat of an annoyance-. The banks turbo looks like it only uses one exhaust side of the v8 to get its boost- Turbo size isnt really an issue, its easy enough to install a boost controller to limit boost-however, placement of the turbo is my concern- Would it be odd to place the turbo where the two manifolds meet? I've seen most people mount the turbo as close to the engine as possible. just wondering whats so bad about mounting it further away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I misunderstood what Casey did, but I am pretty sure the drivers side exhaust crosses under and also flows through the turbo and then from the turbo down and out it is single exhaust.

Rene

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You are correct Rene. Both sides drive the turbo via a crossover pipe.

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected!

Time to cut off those knees to bring ya down to size....