Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

info on factory buzzer/chime

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Dec 21, 2001.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

can anybody help me on the details of restoring the factory headlite/ignition/seatbelt buzzer or reminder chime in my 79'. i know alot of these where diabled upon delivery to dealerships. if this is not the case is there wires i need to trace to insure they are not damaged ? id like to get everything working on my old rig as if it where new !thanks ahead of time.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm..older thanI have dealt with, but it may be similar. The "buzzer" or reminder is probably either on the fuse panel, or on a seperate panel which in later years was called the "courtesy center". Horn relay was even on it later on. Anyways, if the column has been apart, someone may have removed the contact for the ignition buzzer, which is inside the column, "underneath" the steering wheel and turn signal switch. Headlights I can't remember exactly, but I believe there is a wire coming off the headlight switch that runs through the ignition as well (probably through the same ignition warning contact) that "looks" to see if the key is in, and what position its in. That could also run through the ignition switch itself at the base of the column I guess. Seatbelt buzzer is a single black wire that runs to the drivers seat belt female end. Best thing to do is get a factory servce manual, or have someone look it up for you in one. All my observations are what I know off of my 80's wiring.

Interestingly enough, my friend says that his dads 79 or 80 K5 has a small electrical "box" behind the glove box. I've never seen it, but that was before electronic spark control AFAIK, so perhaps that is the "courtesy" center??

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

did the 88 models come with a headlight "reminder" so you woen't leave ur headlights on? I already have left mine on once this week.

16, 88 jimmy, kearning, but still need help

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My 79 didn't have headlight reminder, just seatbelts, so don't go crazy looking for something that doesn't exist. After a while it stopped buzzing and I never missed it.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

5. dyeager535

At some point, I have to believe that GM made that standard, and no longer an option, as I believe it was earlier on. An '88 should SURELY have it, check under your dash, above or around your gas pedal, for a plastic "box" that has a bunch of wires to it. That should be the courtesy center, and if so, should have a headlights on/key off/out warning. I used to do the same thing, (leave lights on) so I made sure mine works now.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

6. dyeager535

Sorry I didn't mention this, I'm not sure WHEN they actually implemented the system either, so, again, look at a service manual and see if it was even available.

Dorian