Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Info on Laycock overdrive units...questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uao85, Sep 21, 2006.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Hey I was wondering what everyone thought about aftermarket overdrive units specifically the laycock overdrive unit that came in early ferraris' and volvos for a while?? I have been researching this for a while, the gear vendors is a nice unit, but you have to have a rear slip yoke in order to use it, but with the laycock unit, they all come with a fixed yoke in the rear!!! You think one of these units would hold up to a 6.2/th400/np208, or a 4bt? Now I do imagine this isnt the most bulletproof setup, but would only see duty on the highway going back and forth from Houston or Tyler. This truck is soon to be my daily driver and would see offroad use everyone in a while, but otherwise pretty light duty. Whatcha think??

Regards,
    Remington

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Those are pretty light for a FS truck. If you were talking about putting in a Chevy Luv truck or similar then it might be OK so long as it didn't have a V8.
    Look up the torque capacity of them.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I had one in a 68 Volvo. After that engine wore out, it went into a 73 FI wagon. After the wagon got wrecked, it went into a 74 wagon. I beat it hard and it never gave an inch. I bypassed the 4th gear only switch, so I could split the gears. I think mounting one to a Chevy tranny would be a problem-who makes an adaptor???????

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

They have the same bolt pattern as the gear vendors unit.

Remington