Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inform me something about a D60 carrier& gearset

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4xcrazy, Apr 13, 2007.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I am trying to sell a D60 carrier and gearset i aquired awhile back, and the guy is asking me through emails what it came out of, i said Chevy, that's what it came out of :crazy:

anyhoo, he says he has a Ford and is wondering if they are the same,,,i honestly don't know, I don't have and have never dealt with D60's

can someone assist me with this question please and thank you:laugh:

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Never thought of that before.
    This is from BillaVista though. I would still verify it.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]** Note: The carrier is the same for all Ford RC 60's UP TO 98, and is the same as the GM/Dodge 4.10 carrier - namely part # 706040X.
    BUT - the Ford RC60 was never offered stock with a ratio lower than 4.10 in those years. When aftermarket vendors started making gears lower than 4.10 for RC 60s - they made the ring gear thick, so it could just go on the stock carrier. So if you bought aftermarket 5.38 gears for RC60 - they would likely be thick. Now - if you buy an aftermarket carrier (i.e. locker, spool, limited slip) for your RC60 - I imagine, depending on where you buy it from, they ask "year/make/model" and based on that would likely sell you the 4.10 down Detroit - that way - if you already had aftermarket lower gears, they would just go on the locker. The problem you might run into, is this:. You buy aftermarket gears first - lower than 4.10 and they're thick. Then you buy a locker by ratio, not make and model, and naturally you'd think "I have 5.13 gears - I must need the 4.56 and up locker" but you get hooped because the gears are thick, and won't go on that carrier. Also note, The 2000+ RC60 Fords are offered with stock gears as low as 5.38 - but these are not thick to go on the same old 4.10 down carrier - they are thin and go on the same GM/Dodge 4.56 up carrier. The carrier break is 4.30 and down go on the 4.10 and down carrier. I don't know if Spicer is the only manufacturer offering thin RC60 gears - but the bottom line is - when dealing with an RC60, you do have to match your carrier and gear set.
    [/FONT]

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For the most part all 60 carriers are the same. You carrier breaks, and different size splines. If your 60 came out of a GM, and a front, it will have 35 spline. If he is putting in a Ford front 60, the carrier itself will work, but the gears are different. If it's a rear, other than the spline count will work fine.

4. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Let's not forget the cast-in spring perch will be on the opposite side from the top,(I assume?) as if the carrier was being flipped up-side down.
    Or, he could go with a Chevy pass side transfer case in his Ford?? :dunno:

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

That would be the center section (pig) not the carrier