Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

information on lifts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxrcr589, Jun 11, 2003.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

i got a 1990 gmc jimmy on 33's with a 3inch lift right now. i want to get a 8 inch lift, but iam not sure what type i should get , any ideas? i dont know if i should get like 4inch blocks and 4inch leafs or what, if i get too much leafs will i lose flex?? i got 10 bolt in front and rear, i want like 38s but im not sure if my axles can haddle that much ?? after i get my 8inch lift and tires what else do i need to complete my lift, transfer case lowering?? longer drive shafts??

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

first of all, lots of this stuff has been covered in the past... and forum searches will yield LOTS of info. That said...

[ QUOTE ]
    i got a 1990 gmc jimmy on 33's with a 3inch lift right now. i want to get a 8 inch lift,

[/ QUOTE ]

silly question, but why do you want 8" of lift? if its for the look, thats cool... but to fit bigger tires u can use a lot less lift. I have 1" of body lift, and 5" of suspension lift and run 39.5s no problem. The less lift you use the better... your rig will handle better, cost less to build up, be more stable etc etc etc.

[ QUOTE ]
    but iam not sure what type i should get , any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

my votes go to tuffcountry and BDS...

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont know if i should get like 4inch blocks and 4inch leafs or what

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're going to use the rig offroad, I highly recommend you install a shackle flip in the rear. ORD and Echobit both have em... and they will give you 2.5-5.5" of suspension lift in the rear suspension depending on the kit you get.

[ QUOTE ]
    if i get too much leafs will i lose flex??

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. in general, the more a spring is arched for a higher ride height, the less it will flex. This is another reason why low lifts are better...

[ QUOTE ]
    i got 10 bolt in front and rear, i want like 38s but im not sure if my axles can haddle that much ??

[/ QUOTE ]

in a word: no. The 10 bolt front can be beefed up with chrome-moly axle shafts and better u-joints... but the rear 10b is much harder and more expensive to beef up. If I was you I'd do an axle swap before I got anywhere near 38s.

[ QUOTE ]
    after i get my 8inch lift and tires what else do i need to complete my lift, transfer case lowering?? longer drive shafts??

[/ QUOTE ]

bigger axles, steering corrections of some kind (i like x-over, but its not a requirement), longer driveshafts and new (longer) shocks, and longer brake lines are pretty much gonna be a requirement. you shouldnt have to do tcase lowering... unless u have a np208 (and its cursed slip yoke!).

ok, that oughta get u started... do some searches on this stuff. if u have any further questions for me, feel free to drop me a pm.

j

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

i have a 6" suspension lift and the kit came with blocks to lower the transfer case. i took them out once to see how the d/s angles would be and they were alot better with the drops installed. i would definetly run drops if going with 6" or more. also the shackle flips come in either a 2.5 inch lift or 4 inch lift. so you could use the 4" shackle flip with 4" springs in the rear and still have good flex. any lift over 6" and you will need crossover steering. by the way i have tuff country ez ride and it works great. they give you everything you need in the kit. and you can get 8" springs up front with 4" springs for the back all in the same kit.