Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

****ing A!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2500SWATBurb, Jan 8, 2006.

1. 2500SWATBurb

2500SWATBurb Registered Member

Well.. I try and maintain my truck.. I take good care of it.

Anyway.. I get home today.. Check my oil and realize my oil cap has been off since my last oil change. About 200 miles ago. No oil has blown out... and my oil level seems to be fine... But Im the kind of person that worries about things to no end.
    My oil pressure guage was lower than normal when I got home and thats what made me check the oil.
    I've ****ed my engine havnt I?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i doubght it. if its worrying you that bad change the oil again. it may not be the most cost effective solution but it is a piece of mind.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Did the same thing once. Got a new cap from OReilly's for a couple bucks. Problem solved, no bad effects.

4. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

same here stuck a rag in there for a day or two so some little critter did'nt crawl in there, bought new cap good as new.

5. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

You killed it. I'll give ya $20 for the truck.....

6. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Last summer I let my wife take my K5 to go run some errands...

A few hours later I hear a big ol' diesel pull up in the driveway. Thinkin to myself, "who the heck is that?". I walk outside and this is what I see. My wife is in my truck with the windows down, reving the hell out of the engine, smoke is weeping from the wheelwells, and there is some severly noticable oil leaking form somewhere. Not to mention the horrible sounds it was making. Whole time shes reving it, shes yelling, "I thinks somethings wrong!"

Well, after I carefully get her out of my truck, I manage to find out that she had been driving the truck that way for about 15 minutes, meaning it was making that noise for 15 minutes. Which means there was absolutely no water in that truck in the middle of a Texas summer for who knows how long.

An old hose had busted and pumped all of the water out. By the time it was making the noise, the temp sensor had already blown out, so naturally my wife thought it was running at a cool 90 degrees in the 110 degree weather. I bought new hoses, flushed the system, got a new temp sensor, and it runs fine. It leaks a little from the crank, and now I get some smoke on startup, but it's got 200,000 on it anyways.

What I'm trying to say is, it takes a whole lot more than a missing oil cap to affect a Gm motor.

Al

7. 2500SWATBurb

2500SWATBurb Registered Member

Thanks guys... Im a nazi when it comes to my vehicles. The kind of guy that cant sleep on the same day he grinded a gear or missed a shift.
    I've got confidence in the 350 though.
    Thanks for your opinions...