Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

%!&$-ing electrical problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SnackPack, Oct 28, 2005.

1. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

So it seems my electrical problem came back. I went to start the engine and I didn't have any power on anything, except the headlights. I figured it was a problem with my ignition switch, so I got a new one. In the process of replacing it, I found that the red wires to it are at 12V, but the connections from it only read like 0.5V when on. Does that sound like a short to ground? How would I find that? I'm a multimeter novice, but I do have one.

So my problem is not the ignition switch or the fusible links, but it is affecting everything that is key-operated. Any clues here?

Adam :confused: :confused:

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Check the big plug going to the fuse block? The head lights are direct wired, IIRC. Time to pull out the schematics.

3. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

high resistance before the switch(corrosion, ect.)

4. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

high resistance between the fuse block and switch? What would qualify as "high" ?

Adam

5. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Electrial problems *FIXED*

I think I got it.... unless it goes out again. Even though the fusible link at the starter tested good after I clipped it, I replaced it anyway. I also added a ground strap from the head to the firewall (there was one from the block to the firewall). I also added one from the head to the block, on the fuel pump block-off. So my ground runs from the battery to the head, to the block.

I don't know if any one of these fixed the problem, so I'll just have to see if it happens again. Perhaps it was just the fact that I disconnect just about everything and made sure I put it all back together solid. I also put in star washers everywhere I could.

Thanks for the input!

Adam