Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

%$^&*&^^ING HEADERS!!!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Jun 9, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

As some of you know, I decided to finally get off my @$$ and install my headers so I could take the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif to the exhaust shop today to have them hooked up and an H pipe installed.

My plans were coming together quite nicely as they were last minute and all. Jason let me borrow his sawzall, the hardware store had everything I needed, and I got home by 6 0'clock. Plenty of time to install some headers right? I thought so. So we grilled some steaks, I helped my boy with his math homework, had a beer, changed into grubby clothes, and headed out to the garage with my newly purchased hardward, Jason's sawzall, and genuine happiness that I finally was able to spend some wrench time on the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. I was actually going to install some parts I had! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I proceded to crawl under the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and cut the exhaust pipes. Took about 2 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif (Thanks again j), Then I popped the hood and proceded to remove the exhaust manifolds with the short chunks of pipe attached to them. Took about 10 minutes..Woohoo! This is going faster than I had expected! This is great! My projects NEVER go this smooth! I'm getting really stoked now!

I grab the drivers side header and it slides right into place. SWEEEEEEEEEEET!! I put the two outer most bolts in, drop in the gasket and start to put in the rest of the bolts. So far so good. I am working my way from the back of the block forward, everything is going great till now. I get to the 2nd to last bolt and I can't install it!? It WON'T GO IN! WTF!!?? Hmmm..must need to use hex socket bolts..ok...no biggie..I'll leave this one out so I can at least get it to the shop and then pick up new bolts tomorrow. Still fairly stoked..gonna have headers..Yeah buddy!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Then I look down and notice the collector is hitting on the shackle. DAMMIT! That can't be hooked up. Hmmmm what do I do now?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Ok, SO I get out the bis @ss pry bar and "tweak" things a bit. What'dya know, the shackle/bushings slid right over in the spring and gave me an inch of clearance or so. Phew! Ok, I'll let the exhaust guy know about the clearance issues and see if he has any ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Ok, drivers side is all buttoned up and good enough for now. Time for the passenger side. I'm getting excited now! Almost done! I have less then an hour into the project. I'm making GREAT time! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Figure I'll bolt in this one, clean up, have another beer, and hit the sack. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif After all, this side had GOT to be easier because I have not brackets or spacers to fab for ancillary stuff like the alt. or PS pump. Nothing but header bolts. Easy right? WRONG!!

I drop the header in, start the last bolt, go to start the first bolt, and I can't get it to line up enough to get the bolt started. WTF!!?? There's nothing on this side. No shift linkage, no funky brackets, NOTHING! What's up? So I crawl back out from under the hood and take a look around. It is then that I notice the header is once again hitting the spring shackle. No biggie, I just grab the big @ss pry bar and see If I can get any clearance. Nope, NADA, zilch, zippo on gaining any clearance. DAMN! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well, Here is where I get REAL creative. I WANT HEADERS DAMMIT! I'LL MAKE THEM FIT! I jack up the front pass side of the truck, place it on stands, crawl back under it and once again use the persuader to see if I can get any clearance. Hey! Looky there! I got about 1"! Woohoo!! Ok, I'll have the exhaust guy cut off the collectors and just weld directly to the headers. Don't really like that idea, but I want the perforamnce gains of the headers so I'll live with it. Plus, there'lll be no gaskets/leaks to worry about at the collectors, so it's all good. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I crawl back out from under the truck, crawl back under the hood and proceed to start the rest of the bolts. No problems now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I start to tighten the bolts and I watch the header move as I go to make sure it doesn't hit on the spring shackle. I can't even snug up the bolts before it hits again. Not to mention, as I get to the front of the header, I cannot put 2 of the bolts in! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The tubes bend back so close to the header that I can't install them anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Ok, Once again, I remind myself that I'll need to replace all the hex bolts with hex socket bolts. It's really no biggie. It should be ok.

At this point I decide to crawl back under the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and make sure that I'm not going to tweak the headers on the spring shackles if I drop it down off the stands. So I jack it back up pull out the stands and start to let it down REAL SLOW and watch for movement. Guess what...yep, they hit and I can hear the header straining. DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Well, now I have almost 2 hours into what was supposed to be an easy project and I can't use the headers anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif To top it off, I now have cut exhaust pipes to boot.

Ok, I made the decision that I have to put the stock manifolds and pipe sections back in. I pull out the headers, put them back on the work benck and start to reinstall the stock stuff. Kinda p*ssed, but what can I do? I need my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif this weekend, so I gotta get it done.

I start to put the pass side manifold back in with the pipe still attached. Kinda awkward and heavy but I can do it. I get the front bolt started, reach back to start the back bolt and the stinkin manifold falls breaking off three of my spark plugs. crap. They were new too. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Anyway to make a long story short (about time huh?) I spent 4 hours on what was supposed to be a 2 hour job TOPS. My /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is still going to the exhaust shop today, but only to get my cuts welded back up so I can drive it (maybe a H pipe too..dunno yet), and I have a set of headers for a sbc for sale.... should work great for a 2WD truck or car..../forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

dood... hate to be a prty pooper here... but take the [darn] thing to Punks, give them the headers and have THEM install them for like $5.00 in addition to the cost of the rest of your exhaust... thats what I did... hell I took them my blazer with the starter in the passenger seat and had them put that, the headers and a whole exhaust system in ... it only ran me like 250.00 for the whole deal

and it was done in a day.

so quit your bitching, have a beer and let Punks do the work.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn dude, that sucks! Almost sorry I lent ya the sawz now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw, where is punks again? address? phone? I need a new crossover pipe for my exhaust system too (shackle/driveshaft clearance would be nice!). How much should one run there? Nothing fancy or anything...

j

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ok what kind of headers do you have?

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    quit your bitching, have a beer and let Punks do the work.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif That is exactly what I did! LOL!! I dropped it off at 4 today. I had a buddy pick me up and we went to Hazel Dell Brew Pub for a beer and nachos and then went back and picked it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

He wouldn't install the headers though. Too much work to do them and he wasn't sure he wouldn't ruin them. Said they were for a 2WD truck. So....he welded up the cuts I made and put a cross over pipe in for me. The thing is super quiet now compared to what it was...till I get on it that is! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif cost me $60 total ($71 if you include the beer and nachos /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif). Casey is a good guy and does great work /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif. I'd send anyone to him /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Anyway, got it back home and noticed I need to replace the front axle breather and tubing (it was hanging out /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif how that happened). Also, I noticed the front driver side u-joint needs replaced. Looks like I have another weekend project. Never done axle u-joints before. Gotta go read a book...unless somebody here knows how to do it and can be bribed with beer and pizza /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How much should one run there? Nothing fancy or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

$40 done while you wait if you make an appointment. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Casey is a good guy. He'll hook you up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif His shop is located in the same complex as Woodys 4x4. He is in the very southwest corner of the complex. His shop faces Minnehaha. The number is 693-2000. Closed on Mondays.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Dunno for sure. I think they are either hooker or headman. Gonna sell them cheap though. I can't use 'em and I'm not going to mess with my exhaust any more for awhile.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Man, that sucks. Personally I'll never do headers again unless it is for a full zoot motor...........fawkin installing, changing gaskets, collector gasket blowouts, limited bolt clearance, etc. make them not worth it to me. I'd go with ram horn manifolds for your basic mild motor. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Exactly the reason why I don't run headers on anything we own. Pretty red Camaro with a nice 350 with a lumpy cam and cast iron manifolds and I don't worry about dragging or leaking and seems to perform just fine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Our next new exhaust system will either be done by Punks or an experiment by us given time, proper tools, and proper garage.

Sorry to hear about your headaches but glad to hear you got it fixed up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    we went to Hazel Dell Brew Pub for a beer

[/ QUOTE ] Phil's the man when it comes to brewin beer,I grew up with that dude.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif,Gotta go with the Capt. Vancouvers nitro blend stout and the tukey and swiss on hazelnut bread....You [darn], now thats gonna be in my head til I go get me some.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Capt. Vancouvers nitro blend stout

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I had..with a bigazz plate o' nachos /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Then when I got back to Punk's, Casey offered me a beer too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Personally I'll never do headers again unless it is for a full zoot motor...........fawkin installing, changing gaskets, collector gasket blowouts, limited bolt clearance, etc. make them not worth it to me. I'd go with ram horn manifolds for your basic mild motor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more!

13. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Casey and his Dad, Punk, have worked on my rigs for probably ten years and I have never had a bad thing to say from anything they have done. You really couldn't ask for better people.
    Glad to hear that things worked themselves out. They usually do, with the help of a few buddies...
    T-roy