Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!$#@%&*? ing radiator!!! A little help here?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMslave, Nov 25, 2002.

1. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Okay, so I THOUGHT the radiator that came in my truck was just thrown in by the last guy cuz that's what he had laying around. It didn't fit right, the metal cover was/is about 3-4" from the top of the radiator, to which he added wood blocks to take up the space. So I buy a new replacement, and guess what? Same thing. My question is, does anybody else have a '77, and could you please look at what holds your radiator down and describe it to me? Some thing just ain't right here.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

not sure about a 77 but my 89 has 2 sizes. i had to measure mine before ordering. but like i said might be different for the 77

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Does your truck have a body lift ? If so that could be whats causing the space.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There are two sizes and then there is different cores. 2-4 core were available. Still haven't figured out when the year breaks and stuff is. My wifes 79 has a tall and my 75 has a short. Doens't seem to be what options were on the truck either. Both a Auto tranny A/C trucks.
    77 was a transistion year also. There were several changes for 78 and it's possible your truck had some of the 78 changes even though it was a 77. Anything after OCt up is usualy concidered the next model year. So if you had a 11/77 build date your truck is really a 78 model year.
    Does your truck have a fold up rear seat? Does it have a rear seat foot well? if so it's a 78.

5. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

It's actually a pickup, not a Blazer. So there was a change in there somewhere huh? It figures, that just reminds me NOT to just go ahead and trust the friendly young guy at AutoZone. And for the previous post re: body lift, yes it has a body lift but it shouldn't make a difference for what I'm talking about. The dimensions between the radiator don't change. It looks like I'll have to back to plan B and fab up some mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Thanks fellas.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That bracket that fits the short radiator is avalalble. Problably pick it up for $10 at your local junk yard.
    I had a 83 VW GTI that drove me and the Dealer nuts. I walked in one time with a Bad relay and the guy looks up the part number and says this from a 84 I thought you told me your car was a 83. My car is a 83 and I just pulled that out of the fuse box. Guy walks out and looks and says yes your car is a 83 (you could tell from 30ft from the side if you know what to look for). He looks at the door post and again it says 83. He looks at the fuse box....Car had a 84 electical system. It was a mid year car. My freaking Supra is the same way...mid year car. Several of the seals had changed and drove me nuts getting the right ones.

7. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

yea what he said + if ya cant find the bracket i have several laying about i ll send ya 1 if you pay shipping and
    YES YOUR body lift does affect your fan should alingment and radiater alignment we ran brackets like you plan on doing on 1 of my buddy's truck's that we did a boddy lift on.
    well good luck and for what its worth i all ways run a winching tie doown strap over the center of my radiater and coor support when i go romping had 1 get lose on me 1 time wont happen again
    Hope it helps
    R

8. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

If your Pickup has a body lift it does not affect the radiator in anyway, my 78 blazer has a 2 or 3 inch lift on it and the only thing that was wrong was the shroud, I had to cut part of the lower section of the shroud out to even the fan blades so they don't touch the shroud, but before I did that, I had to recore the original radiator, he quoted me on a 78 blazer radiator for recore at $165.00.
    When I brought the radiator down, He was puzzled by it's size, I had 4 radiators that needed recoring and the one he pointed out was 4 inches smaller then the original.
    That radiator came out of a 1973 Custom Deluxe Pickup truck, maybe the one you needed, They have the tops for these smaller radiators, you should reply to one of these guys that had replied to you, Chevrolet did make these tops for the smaller radiators and I know that some of these guys got some laying around.
    Check them out when you can, You don't want to put wedges to support your radiator, you'll be seeing splinters all over your engine compartment.
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Thanks again you guys. The truck was actually a Camper Deluxe Special something whatever, so I guess it's prolly supposed to have that spacer top. I fixed it good last night. I got some blocks of neoprene (can't say from where /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and whittled out some hold downs/spacers. Then I reused the top plate. I'll be surprised if it goes anywhere. I've never run without the shroud before, so I left it off (for now) to see how it goes. It's winter here so I doubt it'll overheat.