Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Injector drips after I shut motor off and piston ring washdown question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beastofablaze, Sep 6, 2006.

1. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Well, Went to work on the blazer today, bought new motor mounts, tranny mount, coolant temp sensor fitting, etc.... motor mounts and tranny mount didn't fit and of coarse I found this out at a very bad time while they were under a cheap 20 dollar autozone floorjack, so I had the pleasure of putting it all back together inside my 1343435454 degree storage unit with no progress made. And while I was down there I found out my tcase is CRACKED from one of the bolt holes and it looks like someone welded it from the inside. Then I found out my injector is dripping... I almost set the thing on fire out of frustration. Sometimes I wonder if this thing will ever be on the road and worth my while and hard earned $$$$. Then I tell myself to just do whatever it takes to get her running and if I end up spending big money then o well I'll have a hell of a rig. I dunno...

"deep breath"

count to five

Ok

now to the questions

I have a holley tbi and part of the install includes cutting the stock injector wires off and wiring up the new ones and I think I wired it backwards because it's open when it should be closed and its only one... so I tried switching the plugs on the injectors and the other one leaked while the one that leaked at first didn't drip at all so I think its the wires. What else could cause this?

How much fuel does it take to wash down your rings? I haven't even put 100 miles on this thing and drove it very little but its had it fair share of run time in P N and a little in D in which it was just DUMPING fuel done plenty of oil changes just because it smelled really bad like gas but it's not even broken in. Is there a way to tell if they are washed down.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

My injectors leaked too. All I did was tighten the bolt that holds the injector clamps down, the one thats on the air cleaner stud. No more leaky, even with 18 psi.

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I've had two dripping injector problems.

1 - oring on injector was bad.

2 - clogged up injector. tried all the cleaning solutions and nothing would make it spray the cone. Replaced it and problem was solved.

4. beastofablaze

both injectors have less than 20 min on em almost brand new and the plate is tight... I've had em leak from there before 2 but not this time. this is just one and if I swap plugs from left to right the other one will leak so I'm almost pausitive it has to with electronics... just wondering if its possible to reverse the wires and have it opening when it should be closed...

Thank you for the help.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

From what I've read about washdown, and I'm no expert here, it could happen in less than 100 miles, but it would really have to be dumping a lot of gas down there. I think the type of rings used made a difference too, cast iron rings was worse, moly rings dealt with it better. There's no real good way to tell, you could do compression tests if there really low, that may be an indicator. Leakdown test would be better indicator. It doesn't take much gas to smell up the oil, how thin was the oil though?
    I built my first motor last summer, a 4.3L v6, when I first started it up the qjet had magically developed a leak on the bottom of the fuel bowl while it was sitting for 3 months during the build. (qjet was rebuilt the summer before, only had 20kmi on it) Alot of "experts" told me I could wash the rings in 10-20 miles if it was really spewing gas. I don't know if I did much damage or not, I probably drove about 50 miles with it before I narrowed the problem to the q-jet. Oil reaked of gasoline. I think it's one of those things that damages the longevity of the motor. I've got 24,000 miles on the engine now, the C10 it's in gets 20mpg, it runs strong, doesn't burn a drop of oil. still feels super tight. BTW, I used moly rings.

6. neverendingproject

It should not leak regardless of the electronics. when you turn the key off, the circuit is dead. It might be time to pull off your injector pod and clean it up and replace o-rings.

7. beastofablaze

I understand that BUT... if the wires are reversed in the plug then it would be telling the injector to open when it should be closed right? Therefore when you kill it the injectors are supposed to close but if it's doing the opposite of what it should do then it would be open. I'll try to explain what it did a little better as I am having trouble putting it to words....

I noticed my LEFT injector was leaking... I switched the plugs and all the sudden my LEFT injector doesn't leak anymore and the right injector is now leaking. That would eliminate a bad o ring right?... not to mention both the injectors and tbi just came out of the box not to long ago. I think this is the problem but I don't know if reversing the wires on one plug would have this affect. The holley tbi requires you cut the stock wires and solder or crimp them to their tbi's plugs... I'm guessing that I jumbled up the wires but I don't know.

I will check the o rings but they have barely even been used.

8. neverendingproject

If by some chance, the planets have aligned and its your wiring, just swap the wires.