Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Injector test

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by DieselBurb, Dec 5, 2002.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Is there a way to test the injectors on my 6.2 myself?

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Are you refering to a "POP" test to see when they open? If so, I believe you would need an injector tester or just take them to a shop that does that stuff, I believe they charged me $8.00 each to test them and another $8.00 to rebuild them.

Here is where I found one for sale. Look towards bottom of page where it says POP tester, not the first one for $750.00web page

3. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Actually, I was wanting to check to see if any of my injectors are bad. My 6.2 runs good, but lopes at idle in gear, white smokes on the driver's side longer than on the passenger's side, and this morning was colder than normal outside and I noticed black smoke on the driver's side and not the pass side as I went through the gears to get on the highway.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Quick and dirty way to find out which cylinder the miss is coming from, while engine is running, crack open fitting at injector just enough to let fuel bubble out, then note the change in engine rpm. If you find one that after you crack it, has little or no change in rpm, remove that injector and have it tested or replace it. If it is a problem with a single cylinder, it is most likely an injector problem or low compression in that cylinder, rather than a pump problem. If you take the injector to get tested, just make sure they check VOP, chatter, return leakage, and tip leakage, if all of these are ok I would look to a problem in the cylinder. Also, you say that one side takes longer to warmup at cold startup, make sure your glowplugs on that side are in good working order before you go pulling injectors.