Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

injectors/air filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Jul 16, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

2 questions:

I ruined a brand new air filter in 3 months with mud/dirt. What do you all use as an air filter so that it doesn't need to be replaced every couple months from clogging up with dirt/mud?

Also, what is the best method to clean my TBI injectors? I have heard some people just soak them overnight in gasoline and others soak them in a bowl of (in tank) injector cleaner. Any suggestions?

2. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

first of all i use k&n air filters and cleen them every 2 months and b4 the k&n's i never run an air filter more than 3 months so i hope that answers that part
    as far as the injectors i use spray can carb/injector cleaner and a soft bristled tooth brush

balzer

3. leadvillek5

leadvillek5 Registered Member

bg44k fuel injection cleaner just add it to your gas tank at fill-up.
    get a k&n filter or air hog filterand cleanit every oil change or when it gets real dirty.

lancer

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Don't use an open air filter setup??? :dunno:

I am using the stock setup on my '89, and really only need to change the air filter about every 6 months or so, yes i do check it regularly.

5. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I too am using the stock air filter system and yet my filter is still clogging up bad after a few months. Would anyone recommend removing the injectors and soaking them in cleaner overnight? Or, is this a big no-no?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wix...

Wix makes a heavy duty air filter that has a foam "pre-filter" wrapped around the normal pleated paper one that can be removed and cleaned...they are about 2-3 times the cost of a "normal" one though...

Not sure about injectors...I would think soaking them wont do much more than clean the exterior of them..a can of injector cleaner in the gas tank would probably do more for them.. :crazy:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I doubt soaking them in anything is going to help. The parts aren't going to be moving while soaking, nor will stuff likely just fall off, so I don't see that really helping much. I know on some GM injectors, certain cleaning actually hurts them.

Your best bet is to talk to someone that does ultrasonic(?) cleaning of injectors, which will make sure they are in good working order at the same time. I don't believe it's very expensive, and you know when you get them back that they will work good.