Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Injectors

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by dyeager535, Feb 23, 2007.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thought I'd post this up since I was a bit surprised to hear it myself.

My setup had been running *lean* (edit) since I put it together. Figured that was due to all the changes I had made to the motor.

Since I had the odd no-start problem (solved with a new ECM, not a battery as a "professional" had emphasized it was, because as a "layperson", I couldn't possibly know better than him lol) figured it would be a good idea to swap injectors now that issue was gone.

All the injectors were "good" according to the meter, 13-16 ohms each. I had no qualms selling them, since I knew the engine ran with them, they tested good the only way I could check, and I wasn't selling them for much. Sure glad I didn't waste my money having them professionally tested, that would have cost me more than $100, then still had to spring for the replacement cost of the injectors as well! Also not even close to worth it to buy equipment that could test them differently than you can with a meter.

Here's a quote from the email I got from the guy I sold them to:

"Well I got $27 (my note: $20+shipping) worth out of them. I flow checked them today and two of them could barely open. I sonic cleaned them and nothing changed. The coils in them are just weak. The other 6 spray excellent though. LOL. I work for Accel so we have an injector machine."

So I guess it goes to show that you shouldn't chase your tail if you don't know the injectors are good, for sure. I didn't waste time or money trying to fix that problem with tuning (thankfully) but I could certainly see how you could.

If you can't afford new injectors, it probably isn't a bad idea to send the old ones in to make sure they work correctly before throwing your setup together. :)

My 24# Ford injectors are all in and ready to fire up, as soon as I get my tuning/chip burning software installed again, since I lost my hard drives. :(

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Interesting info. Thanks Dorian.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

An article I dug up.

As the number of fuel-injected vehicles on the road continues to rise and the number of injectors installed per vehicle increases, the aftermarket for fuel injectors is expected to show impressive growth.

According to strategic research conducted by Frost & Sullivan (F&S), U.S. Fuel Injec-tor Aftermarket, revenues for the total mar-ket have climbed from $228.5 million in 1998 to $242.0 million in 1999. Market growth is anticipated through 2005.

Although fuel injection was introduced in the late-1980s, it was not until the early-1990s that it was widely applied to cars.

With a life expectancy of around 10 years, those early fuel injectors are now coming in for repair and replacement, boosting aftermarket revenues. "The pace of technological advancement in this market is expected to accelerate as automakers develop new technologies to meet changing emission standards," says F&S analyst Meenakshi Ganjoo.

"Designers are mainly looking to improve reliability, performance and cost-effectiveness of fuel injectors. Though changes are generally driven by OEMs, aftermarket manufacturers need to keep pace with new technologies," says Ganjoo.
    Advertisement

"Under such circumstances, understanding OE specifications and achieving OE standards is difficult, as it requires extensive research and testing facilities." Meanwhile, changing EPA standards and automakers' desire to have smaller, lighter and longer-lasting fuel injectors have resulted in an explosion of part numbers, F&S said.

The biggest challenge for aftermarket suppliers is to supply all variations of injectors that are available, including numerous new designs. Although there has been some consolidation in part numbers, suppliers are reluctant to continue that trend because of the possibility that replacements will fail to meet EPA standards, F&S said.

Fuel injector distributors and installers consider parts coverage a major criteria in choosing a supplier, second only to quality, according to F&S.

COPYRIGHT 2000 International Trade Services

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I always go by. If the engine has around 100K miles the injectors need replaced or service. They wear out like anything else. Espicially under performance apps where The duty cycles are higher.
    Any rebuild I do gets new or serviced Injectors. Its just one less thing to have to deal with when you are getting a new engine up, running, and tuned.
    You can send a set of 8 in have them serviced/cleaned usually for under $100 + shipping. Will cost a bit more if any injectors are bad and need to be replaced.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Edited my above post, was a bit tired last night after putting the setup together.

I meant to say it had been running lean (the setup was correcting itself, but never "right") since I put it together, which I had atrributed solely to the many mods I had made, not two bad injectors.

Part of the problem not having 8 O2 sensors. :P