Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Injectors ?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RacerHead, Sep 4, 2002.

1. RacerHead

RacerHead Registered Member

I have one injector leaking, do I need to replace all of them or just one. I found a local Diesel shop that will sell me new ones for $20 a piece, Is that a good price ?
    what is the redline on a 6.2 ?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd just replace one, but for $20 a piece, you may as well replace ALL of them at the same time, especially if they've got a lot of miles on them. If you throw a new injector in and all the rest are worn out, I'm pretty sure that your engine may idle a little funny. But with 8 cylinders you may not even notice.

I would double check that for 20 bucks you're not getting "rebuilt" injectors, BTW. If they ARE brand new, $20 is a great deal.

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

As Canmore said,

If you just replace one, then that will perform better than old and your engine will run rough big time.

The way the diesel ignition works is so that all injectors operate as CLOSEly together as possible.

I would replace all of them. It wont hurt you to do so and will make your engine run a lot better.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

You can replace just one. I had a leaking injector, and I replaced it a few months ago. Of course, my injectors had less than 50,000 miles on them, so I knew the rest were still in great shape.

That's a good price for rebuilt injectors. Rebuilts at my local diesel shop sell for $24.95.

Are you sure you have a leaking injector? Oftentimes the return lines leak, looking like an injector is leaking.

The 6.2L has a built-in rpm governor, so you can't over-rev the engine (unless you speed downhill in a low gear!). The governor is usually set around 3600 rpm.

Casey

5. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Also check the feed lines. The lines are the only weak spot in the injections system and can be damaged from vibration over time. Ususally an injector that is bad wont leak externally, so check your feed and return lines carefully.

6. RacerHead

RacerHead Registered Member

I checked the both lines they are tight and it still leaks. The guy i bought the truck from has wraped duct tape around some of the injectors /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. So I will replace all of them.

Thanks,

Eric

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I had an injector leak externally--it leaked at the joint of the upper and lower halves of the injector.

Duct tape, eh? The previous owner wasn't Red Green, now was he?

Casey

8. René

René 1/2 ton status

For a smooth run, changes all of them.
    You ar a lucky man, in germany an injector cost around $60.