Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inline pump for TBI swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BillyBob, Jun 24, 2003.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Rather than going through the buisness of looking for a tank and sending unit for my TBI swap, I wanna use an inline electrical pump. Does anyone know of one that I can use? everything I seem to find on Summit Racing looks like it's for high PSI systems. I think TBI needs around 20PSI, correct? Doing this would help prevent me from dropping the tank , since that's a PIA. I need reccomendations if anyone has any. BTW, the system I'm using is from my 87 K-5 (tank is shot and sending unit is mising the connector to it)

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Turbo City has one....

Marv

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

this is the one i was planning on using

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some people have run injection without baffled fuel tanks, but if you get it down to 1/4 tank or so regularly, and accelerate hard or climb hills, you'll need some kind of "reservoir" for the fuel pump.

I've uncovered the pickup in a carbed car before on acceleration, but with EFI, that stalls(kills) the motor.

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would use a Walbro pump from Howell. I have used Holley's before and it failed, and Holley would not replace or refund until they inspected it. Took them 3 months to decide to honor thier warranty.

6. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Where can I find this Walbro pump that you're talking about? I looked on summit's site, but no luck.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

This is some good info I got from a friend. He went to great lengths to find all this info out. I posted it all so people doing a search will find it. The fuel pressure is controlled by the regulator. As long as the pump is rated for at least the pressure you need you are set.

External High pressure

Application 1993 Bronco Autozone P/N E2000, about $75, and uses a hose clamp on each end, the output side uses a removable fitting that can be modified to take an AN hose end. The inlet side is low pressure and using the clamp shouldn't be a issue.

In Tank High Pressure

Application 1986 Chevy Camaro with Fuel injection. Look in the bottom for an inlet screen just inside the pump, some versions don't have it. You'll find one if you try more than once. This has a clamp on hose also, but is in the tank and won't be a safety issue.

In tank Low Pressure pump

Application 1979 Chevy Monza with 3.8 liter V6. This is about half the size and half the price of the high pressure pump and was meant to feed a 2 barrel carb. It makes a good sump feed pump.

External Filter

A good external filter is a Purolator F33144, this comes in different brands an is another generic GM part. You can get AN hose adapters from several companies for this filter. The smallest size adapter fits an AN6 line. Probably the most economical filter designed for fuel injection that can easily be plumbed with AN fittings.

Wiring

Fuel Safe sells a wiring kit containing stainless hardware and nylon spacers to run electrical wires into a fuel tank. they are under a buck for a one screw kit.