Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inline six id

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Jun 6, 2005.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I have come across a free GM inline six and i have no idea what year it is. It has points, a removable intake. What else can i look for to get a better idea what year the engine is? The bellhousing has four bolt holes at the corners whould a sm 420 bolt up to this or do i need a older bellhousing?

2. google

google 1/2 ton status

I really dont know much, but can't you just cross referance the code on the block?

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

where would the code be located i know how to do all this stuff on a v8 but have no experience with a inline six i have no idea where i would be able to look up the numbers

4. google

google 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I dunno. All the info I got on mine came from www.mortec.com, but they only do V-8 chevy stuff I guess

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

There is a pad right next to where the dist goes in the block. The engine ID will be stamped on it. You might have to scrape off a bunch of crud to see it.Its about 1" wide and 3" long.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

he's right...

Yup--right next to the distributor is where the straight 6's have the code stamped...I have several books with listings if you post it here,I can check it for you.....seeing it has points means its a 74 or older motor unless someone put the point type distributor in it..the older ones are best,the motors without the integral head seem to last a lot longer than the ones that do,and the one barrel versions run better than the ones with the integral head and crappy 2SE 2 barrel carbs did... :crazy:

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

As far as the bellhousing goes and it was OEM it will bolt up to a 420 just like it would any other tranny in that erra but you will need to verify that is has a 4-11/16" index bore instead of the 5-1/8" used by the 465's .

If it would help you may want to post a pic of the engine and the pulleys that are on it. It could have a replacement block and it might help you if we could identify what year brackets/pulleys that it has on it so that it might be easier for you to get external parts for it.
    Good luck , Tom