Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inner and outer axle shafts.

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Gold Rush, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

A couple of weeks ago a bunch of us met up at Pick-your-Part in Milipitas. I thought I scored some good parts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I got an 8 lug spindle and complete long and short axle shafts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I used the spindle yesterday /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif while fixing my front end. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Unfortunately the axle shafts I got are different lengths than mine /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. The outers are the same length it's just the inners that are wrong. Did they make D44's with different length tubes between the years or did these shafts come out of a 10 bolt. I'm not sure of the difference between the D44 and 10 bolt. I do know the outers are the same but are the inners different??

David

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know there's a D44 5-F and a D44 8-F or something like that... it's stamped on the diff below the cover next to the 44. I have no idea if there are differnces in the axles.
    I think my '72 is a 5f and my dad's '77 is an 8f. I might be wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

D44 and 10 bolt inner shafts are different lengths. I am not sure which one is longer or even what the length of the shafts are but they are different. I am sure that someone will chime in with the lengths of both D44 axles and also the 10 bolt axles.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I would bet that those shafts came from a 10 bolt....I was always under the impression that a D44 shaft was a D44 shaft, all the same. At least GM D44's.