Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inner axel seal/Pinion seal replacement...10blt.ft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Feb 4, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Tomorrow im going to be doing the balljoints, iner axel seals, wheel seals, and pinon seal on my 90. So ive got a few questions...

1. Are the inner seals a big chore or are they pretty staright forward?
    2. Can I just remove the diff and put it and any shims back in the way they came out and have that work? or will the setup change?
    3. Do i need to get a new crush sleeve when I do the pinion seal?
    4. How do I know when ive crushed the sleeve enough if I do need a new one?

Just hoping to get these answered tonight so i have as litle of hang up as possible tomorrow. Thanks

oh yeah and does this look like an inner axel seal this is what the parts guy gave me...

mitches camara pics 162.jpg

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you have to pull both shafts, and the carrier, your preaty much left with the housing, so yea id say its a big job. but if your doing the balljoints, the only thing left is to pull the carrier, shouldn't be too bad.

yes, as long as you put the shims back on the same side they came off of, it will be the same when back together.

it is a very good idea to use a new one, it preloads the bearings. i have done it a few times and not replaced it. just mark the pinion and the nut, count the turns to get it off. put it back on the same amount of turns and line up the marks, then go 1/16" more to get the preload back.

that looks like the seal.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Cool thanks man... el im to that point now. Allready got the balljoints done, so i just gotta drain the fron end, pull the diff etc. Thanks again!

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have never replaced the crush sleeve. Just mark the nut and the pinion count the threads, pull it apart, replace the seal, put it all back together. I have done this too many times to count and have never had a leak. No need to replace the crush sleeve unless you love to work your ass off:eek1:

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

ok sounds good.So b the looks of things i need to get a long rod of some sort and pound te old axel seals out from the nuckles and into the dif housing is that correct? man this is going to be such a royal pain in the ass.