Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inner axle seal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Steve, Dec 4, 2005.

1. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I have done searches,I noticed some gear oil coming out from right behind my passenger side wheel and I found that it's probably my inner axle seal but I wanted to post some pics and find out for sure before I pull it apart.If so,when the carrier is reinstalled do I have to check backlash and all that or is it just unbolt and bolt back in kinda thing?I want to do both sides while I'm at it but depending on my schedule,I may take it in and have it done instead.How long would it take me to replace these?Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Looks exactly the same as my front axle - just did it last week. Definitely the inner oil seals.

No need to adjust the backlash, but make sure the shims are in properly and everything is noted down so it goes back in the same way.

Once the wheel hub, brake stuff and axleshaft is out, I used a pipe to remove the oil seal and then to seat the new one in. So, you'll need a helper to seat it with due care.

Overall, if you have the tool to remove the spindle lock nut, it's not a difficult job. Unfortunately I didn't, but I had a more experienced guy come over and he pounded it out with a screwdriver. It took us a good 3 hours from start to finish.

If you have any specific questions let us know, I got a lot of help from guys on the site before I did mine. If you search the info's still there.

Oh, do both sides while you're there, and if you don't know your gearing it's a good time to check - I stupidly forgot and put everything back in without noting it... :doah:

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Like was said, no adjustment needed as long as the shims go back exactly where they were. I would buy the seals from the dealer that have the steel portion on the seal which helps from tearing the seal as you reinstall the axle, the aftermarket seals i've seen don't have this feature and if you don't support the axle until it is fully engaged you can tear the seal and have to redo the job again. Now is also the time to replace ball joints if they are bad and at the least buy the spanner socket for adjusting the ball joint preload and make that adjustment as you put it back together. :thumb: