Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inner axle seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy9534, Mar 21, 2006.

1. chevy9534

chevy9534 Registered Member

Im replacing my inner axle seal on the front of my 88 k5. It has the stock 10 bolt. My question is where is the seal? If i remove the carrier is it right there or is it at the other end near the spindle. Not sure what it looks like, never done this before. Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Yep is right there when you pull the carier. They are a pain to get out, ive had the best luck using a long peice of rebar(or somthing simaler) to pound them out from the knuckle side and into the diff housing if that makes sence. Any more questions let me/us know

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Use a pry bar to take em out. Also, dont mix up the carrier shims.

4. chevy9534

Im going to mark which sides the shims came from when i take them out. Whats the best way to put the seal back in? Is there any other info that would help me in the process of taking everything apart and going back together? Thanks

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

Also mark the caps before you take them off. Use 2 prybars to get the carrier out, pry on the ring gear bolts. Check to make sure the axles aren't pitted, if they are try sanding them up, if that doesnt work then you need a new axle (or redi sleeve which i havent seen) otherwise it'll tear up the new seal. Put grease on the spring and around the seal where the axle rides. The easiest way is to get an aluminum puck a little bigger then the diameter of the seal and a long bar, and have someone hold the puck and seal while another taps it in. When you put the shims back in put the left side in with the carrier and tap the right side shim in with the cap, otherwise you'll break it, unless there is no preload.

6. chevy9534

thanks for the help, ive got the axles out and now i just have to work on prying the carrier out. It seems pretty stubborn. All the parts look good that ive taken out so far except the bearings are nasty from water. Im gonna repalce them and the seals. Are there any other parts you would recommend replacing while im at it.

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Dude,

I hate to jack your thread, but is the procedure for a Dana 60 pretty much the same as the 10 bolt?

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

It IS the same except the Dana has inboard shims (between the carier and bearing), instead of outboard shims like the 10 bolt, so you wont have to worry about mixing them up and the caps are already marked on a Dana.

9. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Thank you.