Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inner-fender pics?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by owen, Jan 17, 2006.

1. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

Can anyone show me some inner fender options after the opening has been hacked?

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

ttt
    I'm interested in this also. I'm about to cut out my fenders in a few days but I must keep the inners as I do alot of mud. I'm thinking about beating the inners back to the floar board with a BFH hammer and bolting them to the floor. I would love to see some close up pics of inner fenders after trimming and just close ups of trimming in general :bow:
    Thanks,
    James

3. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

anyone....anyone........

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just took mine out but I am at work and not able to take pics of it. I will get some when I go back over to the truck and get pics for my other thread:D .

Ira

5. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

I cut the backside of mine off. I will get pics later today.

6. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Im in the process as well, but plan on having some formed out of riveted aluminum. Should keep mud out, cover all my bases, and last a good long while...most guys just cut, then hammer the inners to match up with the outers (what I did last time).

7. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

I am having my fenders stretched at a body shop, and have been having a debate with the body guy over stretching the inners (cut right through the middle, rivet in a 5" strip) or fabbing some myself. A good friend of mine skins late model circle track cars for a living, so that was the way I was leaning. He should be able to break some simple ones. I was wondering if anyone had followed the same path.

If anyone cares to follow the progress, here is a "before"....

blazer 009 small.JPG

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks like a good start. why not just trim your fenders cleanly? would save a bunch of money.

9. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

I just want to keep the factory lip for "aesthetics". :rolleyes: I know, but that is what I want.

10. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

I dont have any pics of mine but what I did was left about a quarter inch on the factory lip when I cut it off, then cut out what I needed from the fender, bent the inner fender back, then tacked the inner part of the outside fender to the outer(not the inner fender) then welded the factory lip back on. You have to make a few relief cuts in the lip to fit the change in curve on the lower part of the fender, added a couple of hours more to the project but once its finished and painted it sure looks good. Almost like it came factory like that.:D

11. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna have to read that a few times......:laugh:

12. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

Once you start to trim it will make sense. The fender itself is two pieces and along the factory lip there are spotwelds holding the two pieces together, once you trim the lip off the fender is now seperate from its inside piece. Hope that helps with people who havent trimmed theres yet.

13. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the fenders, but I do appreciate you screwing me over the way you did! Real classy of you not to answer your cell phone either! I some how knew you were full of crap and never had the money for the axles. I appreciate you having me cut my truck up for NOTHING! You can be sure that everyone on this site will KNOW how you do business!

Mike

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

15. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

WTF was that about, fill us in......or are you "jusjokin" ?

16. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    On mine I just used masking tape to mark the outline I wanted and used a plasma cutter and angle grinder to follow the line. I found the angle grinder to work a little better for me to make it smoother with a better profile. I separated the inner fender from the cut off part of the outer fender. I then cut slits about every 2 to 4 inches in the inner fender going toward the center of the truck. I then bent and pounded the inner fender up to where it contacted the cout out of the outer fender. There was a good inch or so sticking out past the fender line. I then welded these flaps to the outer fender kind of like a metal fender flare. Then I filled the slits with the welder and metal where I needed to. After that I cut it off close with the plasma cutter and angle grinder fairly close to the outer fender line. Then it was grinder time.

I wanted the look of the original fender lip so I chose to have it speed lined with a one inch reveal around the fenders to give the illusion of a fender lip. Now my inner and outer fenders blend into one which should help keep the engine bay clean and make it easier for clean up.

Rear was a little different because of the design of the first gen. No problem with inner fenders here but there is an outter and inner skin to the body. so on the rear I left about an inch extra around the profile I wanted and cut similar flaps on the outer fender and tried to cut flaps on the inner body skin that fit together. Then I folded the flaps to each other to make a solid piece kind of like teeth fitting together like gears. Then it was welder time. Again I cut off the excess with the plasma and grinder. Here are a few pics after I finally got a digital camera. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  17. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you've got a gorgeous truck to work with!

18. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

No, I am serious. Go look at the buyer seller feedback in the classified section for the full story.

Mike