Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inner Fenders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Mar 25, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well, I thought I had done enough fender trimming, but I unhooked the swaybar, and now I need to do quite a bit more. I have no problem cutting the fenders more, but when I flex, the tires are rubbing the inner fenderwells. Ive got BDS front springs, a shackle flip in the rear, and no rear shocks, so its flexing pretty darn good. My problem is with the inner fenderwells. I cant remove them because then mud and all that nasty crap would be all over my engine compartment every time I went fourwheeling. Plus, if I did remove them, I would have to relocate everything that mounts ontop of them in the engine compartment, and I dont have the fabrication skills to do that. How can I fix this problem? One guy suggested beating them out of the tires way with a bfh, but I dont exactly see how this would work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I cut the lower rear half of my inners off... /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gifstill keeps the mud out, still has all the stuff bolted to them but gives the tires more room. I had to move my diff forward 1.25" to keep the 40's from rubbing the firewall/floorboard though. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Hmmm. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thanks. I think that is what I am going to do because the tires are only hitting the rear of the inner fenders. Time for some /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    -Harrison

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I cut the bottom of mine too.

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

why dont you run rear shocks?

6. jess

jess Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I cut the lower rear half of my inners off... /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gifstill keeps the mud out, still has all the stuff bolted to them but gives the tires more room. I had to move my diff forward 1.25" to keep the 40's from rubbing the firewall/floorboard though. :ee

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    How much of a lift are you running? I ask because I'm planning on running 39.5 Iroks with a 4 inch lift, but I've never run more than a 35 with 4 inches. So should I expect the tires to rub the bottom of the firewall too?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I cut the lower rear half of my inners off... /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gifstill keeps the mud out, still has all the stuff bolted to them but gives the tires more room. I had to move my diff forward 1.25" to keep the 40's from rubbing the firewall/floorboard though. :ee

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    How much of a lift are you running? I ask because I'm planning on running 39.5 Iroks with a 4 inch lift, but I've never run more than a 35 with 4 inches. So should I expect the tires to rub the bottom of the firewall too?

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

Saggy 4" suspension, and a 1" body lift. A fresh 4" suspension lift would sit about the same height. Unless you move the diff forward an inch or so you can expect the tire to rub the firewall/floor area, especially if the tires are turned a little and you're flexed out. I pounded the body seam in that area flat just to be safe...if the tire does rub there at least it won't get cut up any.

rene

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I yanked them out of my 76 K5. You may want to consitter making custom inner fenders that'll give you more room to stuff and keep the mud out.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont have the right bolt size and I am too lazy to weld the shock mounts back onto my 14 bolt. It rides really soft in the rear, but the rear will flex infinately. I havent decided yet whether I am going to leave them off, or put them on one of these days.
    -Harrison

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I yanked them out of my 76 K5. You may want to consitter making custom inner fenders that'll give you more room to stuff and keep the mud out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would be really nice, but if you read my initial post closely you would have noticed I said I dont have the tools/time/skills to fab something up right now. But maybe if you want to fab me something up for free.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    -Harrison

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I dont know about him, but im running about 6" with 37's and mine rub pretty badly with the swaybar unhooked. When flexed and the wheel as straight as I can make it while flexing, my 37's push pretty hard into the rear part of that inner fenderwell. I plan on fixing that either tomorrow or sunday though. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    -Harrison