Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inner fenders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OFFRDK5, Jun 7, 2004.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Who doesn't have them? What will happen if I don't have them on? Will my engine be covered in road crap?

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I don't have any. The only thing that has happened to me is being able to get to my spark plugs and header bolts with extremme ease. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I don't have them, no real problems. It is real nice to be able to use an air ratchet on spark plugs. I can't splash around in water cause the engine will flood (stupid open element air filter). It seems to run cooler too. I don't know how great of an idea it is for mud and snow though (noticed your in IL)

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I took mine out last year. I get a little road/trail grime, but no big deal.

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Could be risky for Illinois weather. I decided against it. For now. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Ya, that is true. Mabey in the summers up there. Don't think I'd run without them in the winter.

7. OFFRDK5

Spark plugs? I don't got no spark plugs!!

So it would be ok to not have em during the summer, but not winter? Keep the engine TOO cold? or ROAD SALT? I also see an advantage as I could cut more of my fenders out for bigger tires!! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

8. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Do you have a relativly dry summer? If you have frequent rain/snow or do most of your wheeling in mud then it probably be better to leave them in. I don't have to deal with any of that. All though it would be nice every once and a while. But I also hose down my engine bay about every week anyways.

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Who doesn't have them? What will happen if I don't have them on? Will my engine be covered in road crap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Inner fenders don't help much when you are up to the body line in water./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

10. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I dont run them at all. Since I took them out my engine has never went above 160 degrees. Also if you have an open element it should help solve the whole hot air ingestion thing. Plus sparkplugs and headerbolts are now a breeze. Along with working on the steering gearbox. (Pain in the a$$) Ditch them and dont turn back. As long as the engine is running you can hose off any crap. But m ake sure you keep it clean and everything painted in there otherwise it will look ghetto IMO.
    - /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifShaun

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

if you mud, leave them in.or when you have to wrench you'll find and have to dig out mud in places you never thought it would go. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. OFFRDK5

Why thanks Neil for bringing back my memory!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And if you look at my hood good you can see the water splash line!!!

Damn, wish we could go back down there. I want to go wading again...while the rig is still running in the middle of the lake!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Inner fenders don't help much when you are up to the body line in water./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]