Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inner rear wheel well?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mich89k5, Nov 5, 2000.

1. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket plastic/metal(plastic preferably)rear inner wheel well for K5 blazers? I've seen these on newer dodge rams and I think that it would help with the rust problem notorious for K5 blazers. I live in Michigan and the biggest problem in winter is that the whole rear bumper area just gets packed with snow and just creates a big ice ball and really messes up my trailer harness wiring connections. I think if these were available then the rear floor pan and even the area where backseat passengers put their feet would be almost free of rust problems. Now I'm pretty sure that nobody makes one specifically for blazers , but has anyone retro-fitted one from perhaps a Dodge ram since I wouldn't think that wheel wells differ too much in size and shape. The only challenge would probably be trimming and fastening it in place. Please let me know what you think of this idea.

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've thought of this too. When I finish my rock sliders and undercoating I'm going to make some spash shields from 1/8" lexan reinforced with aluminum. I want to make panels that will cover all the "vital" spots underneath to keep out mud and road salt. Lexan (not plexiglass) is strong enough to hit rocks without breaking and it's easy to form with a heat gun. If I can get a hold of a digital camera I'll take a bunch of pics. My primary reason for doing this is to make cleaning MUCH easier. Spending 3 hours cleaning after every weekend trip is getting old, and there's no such thing as a mudless trail in western NY.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Why not trim and fit a pair of semi-truck tire flaps to fit from the top of the well to 1/4-1/2 of the tire.

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i have thought of using the existing wheel well as a mold to make a fibreglass one.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com