Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inner tubes and 16.5 rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Heavymetal, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A long time ago I saw an article about running an inner tube in side of tires to prevent bead loss. I do NOT want to run beadlocs or hummer rims. I did a search and read the post regarding the Swedish Tireloc system, and it reminded me of this article. I would love to get these but don't want to spend the $800 for a set.

My question is, why can't you just run an inner tube inside your tire and skip the liner? It used to be the way all tires were. The article I read had two valves, one regular rim valve, and the tube valve stem that was theaded and would allow it to seal the rim up. They would run a certain amount in the tube (say 10 pounds) and the rest in the rim. Then they would just let all the rim pressure out when they went wheelin. Or at least that is how I remember it. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Mike,

The situation with your idea is that the inner tube would always fill the entire void inside the tire so there wouldn't be any ability to "air down" or create two distinct pressure zones inside the tire.

The way the TireLoc system works is that Kevlar bag restricts the innertube from expanding to fill the tire carcass, and applies pressure only to the bead area. When you pressurize the TireLoc (to maybe 25 Lbs) the bead is not going to slip or blow off. The "normal" valvestem needs to be modified to allow air to pass around the TireLoc system and into the "outer" tire carcass...

The only reason I know, is because I installed TireLocs on my K5 just after Moab.....so far I really like them. I set the beadlock part to 25 psi, and the outer tire pressure to 17 psi on the street. When offroad, I can run with 0 psi on the outer tire (if I really wanted to!) and the tire will stay on the rim.

I do have a few pics of the TireLoc stuff in my gallery, so check it out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Heavymetal

How about just eliminating the rim pressure all together, and just run an inner tube? I read somewhere that tubes don't work well with radials for some reason, but my swampers are not radials. Is there some reason this would not work? I would really prefer getting a set of Tirelocs, but as I got canned in November, money is a little tight. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Inertubes don't work well at low pressure. You get "snake bites" where the tube gets pinched between the tire and rim at the bead area. And the tire spins or slips on the rim and tears the valve stem off the tube to name 2 things that go wrong at low pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. Heavymetal

Well it figures there was a reason everyboby wasn't doing it already. Well hell, now I'm back to $800 for Tirelocs. Thanks for the input guys.