Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inner wheel seal (14 bolt)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Oct 24, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

this is the inside of a 14 bolt drum. how do i remove this seal to get the 2 sets of bearings out? thanks...

[​IMG]

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the seal comes out with a seal puller ($6 at autozone), a claw hammer, or a flat edge screwdriver and a hammer...if you hold any of those tools up to that seal, you'll figure it out..

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Yep, and yer gonna need a pair of pliers to get the retaining ring out so you can remove the outer bearing and race. I pulled out the seal, then tapped out the inner bearing race with a brass punch.

Then I removed the retaining ring, and tapped the outer bearing a race out with the same brass punch and a BFH.

Needle nose pliers worked good to compress the retaining ring, then I worked a screw driver in from the front side to work the ring out of it's groove.

Byron

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i got the seal out - it looked like it had some blue RTV on the outer wall that mates up to the hub. when i get new seals, do i need to put anything on them?

the inner bearing fell right out once the seal was removed - i did not have to tap it at all. it looks like the outer bearing will fall right out once i get that retaining ring out. i can see the retaining ring but can not get it to close in with my needle nose pliers. i even pushed on it with a large screwdriver and it is not turning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i can see the retaining ring but can not get it to close in with my needle nose pliers. i even pushed on it with a large screwdriver and it is not turning...

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same problem. You will probably need to tap on the race to take the pressure off of the ring. The race gets pushed up against the ring when you tighten up the bearings, basically pinching it against the hub.

Tap the race away from the ring and it should come right out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    i got the seal out - it looked like it had some blue RTV on the outer wall that mates up to the hub. when i get new seals, do i need to put anything on them?

[/ QUOTE ]
    no, the new seals will most likely have black or orange on the outside, its like a compound to take up any small scratches in the surface where the seal rests..

7. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

It took my a bit to get the retaining ring out. Used a couple big flat head screwdrivers and pliers. Just work it and be patient. It will come out.

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Listen to Beast, just tap the outer race from the back with a screwdriver or a brass drift to release the pressure on the snapring. Then you can just squeeze it and lift it out with a pair of pliers, piece of cake. If you don't release the pressure you might break the snapring.

9. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

everything is out, hubs are cleaned up and the bearings are packed. just had the drums turned and ready to put everything back together. i hate driving the races, bearings and seals in with a hammer and screwdriver but the largest bearing/race driver that i can find is 3.18 inches (lisle tool). this is large enough for the seal and outer bearing/race but a bit small for the inner. does anyone have a source for a larger bearing race/seal driver kits or some other techniques other than hammer and screwdriver? thanks...

[​IMG]

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Brakes look nice! One thing I found out on mine is that it costs all most as much to convert to disk brakes as it does to replace all the brake parts......

11. Confedneck

you can use a brass drift punch instead of a screwdriver, since brass is obviously softer than the steel of the bearing race, it is less likely to damage the race when being installed..i have a set of matco bearing race installers, and ill have to check and see how big the largest one is..