Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inner wheel wells.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Sep 8, 2000.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Have any of you guys ever painted your inner wheel wells ? I'm sure you have, but what did you use that gave great looking results ? Also, what kind of prep work is needed and how did you do it ? Mine look a little bad and I realy notice it with new shocks and boots in there, I thought I'd spruce it up while I'm working on it anyway.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Hi, it's me again, please include any pics you may have and what brands you used. Also, type of finish....gloss or dull or ??

Thanx

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I used a spray-on pipeline primer I "borrowed" from work, and it worked great. It looked exactly like undercoating, and actually repelled water due to a small oil content in the mixture. We use it at work to coat steel gas pipe before we tape it. The stuff dries to a semi-gloss bumpy finish, and lasts forever- of course, it's designed to protect buried pipe, so it SHOULD be bulletproof.

The product is made by Renfrew Coatings, but I can't recall the exact name of the spray. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where someone who's not in the industry would obtain it.

Before that I used flat black Tremclad spray paint. It looked good for the whole summer, but after a typical Canadian winter, with gravelled/salted roads, it needed to be redone by springtime. If you don't have any rust and are just looking to clean up the appearance, I would recommend the Tremclad route.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

BTW, the only prep I did was a thorough cleaning at the car wash and a once-over with a wire brush. That's all!!!

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I used Herculiner on both sides of my new inner fenders before I put them on. Since the fenders were new I only had to wash and scuff sand them. After several trips into (but not out of) the "Bog of Doom", a local mud pit NO ONE has ever made it through (1/4 mile wide), they look great. I haven't found any chips or cracks in it anywhere. The only thing I don't like is that it picks up road dust very easily because of the texture but I just spray it out with a hose every now and then.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Herculiner or if there is any rust at all use POR15
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Hey jcg,

I want to see the " Bog of Doom " !! It sounds wicked, do you have any pics ? I love to see pics of muddin' !!

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I can try and get some pics this week from some of the guys in the club. I've heard stories of 5 trucks getting stuck at the same time and taking about 300 ft of cable and straps to reach the farthest one. I guess they had fun that day, I wish I was there. Udy might know more of the details from that trip, he's been in the club longer than I have, but I haven't seen him around here (CK5) in a while.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org