Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inners with lots of fender trimming

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jan 12, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im lookin to eventually be running 6" susp 1" body lift and 42's, and want to keep the inner fenders. im wanting to use yunits diagrams for the fender trimming, but it looks like it gets rid of the inners. is there anyway to keep them with that much trimming? anybody tried to do some custom inner or something to keep them? any help would be great

2. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Im gonna say no. Dont have personal experience with that amount of lift but Im at about 5" of lift and theres no way they could stay. If you wanted to limit up travel enough it might be possible but still depending on wheel backspacing and so forth youd bee pushing it.

3. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" lift and 39.5's and im currently trying to fit my inner fenders back in, but it's not looking too good. I cut off some brackets on my firewall that attach it (part of my trimming for tire clearance), if i figure a new way to mount the firewall side of the inner, it will work. Guaranteed trimming on the inner fenderwell for sure to make this happen.

4. muddybuddy

oneton, do you have your axle forward any? im going to be running 56's up front so itll be bout 2.5" forward. hopefully that will help.

hmm i really wana keep the inners cuz the truck is going to be driven on the street.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

It can be done with a little enginuity. I will go take a couple pics and be back in a minute.

6. muddybuddy

thanks bro, i was actually trying to find some pics of yours cuz i saw some pics of yours in another fender trimming thread i had saved

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I marked where I wanted to cut with a piece of blue masking tape. The blue tape can be pulled off and reset with ease and you can get a straighter line with the tape, cause you can pull it tight when you stick it to the fender.

I made the cut on the fender with an air powered body saw. They are easy to control and has a fast blade speed for a better cut.

After the fender cuts were made I saw I needed to cut the brackets that hold the rear of the fender. I basically cut a section out of them and re-welded the bracket back on. This looks factory and keeps the fender stable.

I am running 5.5" BDS springs and I redrilled the spring perches and top plates to move the axle forward about 1". I also have 4" poly bump stops mounted in the factory location with a 2" square tube used to move the stops down another 2"s. I still get relatively good up travel with the stops in place (see last pic).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

I am running 38s with 4" springs and did some serious cutting similar to Yunits, but I cut less on the top. I only cut about 1" off the top edge and I still have my inner fenders. I tack welded the inside and outside of the fender back together on the edge. I basically cut to where inner fender bolts were on the front and top. The rear side of the inner fender was reshaped using a ford tool. I kept the big bolt on the rear side to the cowl.

9. muddybuddy

well i guess ill have to figure it out once i get there

10. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

awww man i love that truck... i really do.

11. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I'm about to be running 38.5s on ~5" front/rear, and want to keep my inner fenders. I might just cut the fenders out for non-rockcrawling and go to 37s/36s in the future. The 38.5s are coming with the 3/4 tons I'm swapping in.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I cut mine using Yunits diagram as a base and I could not keep my inners. The big problem is the front and top of the fender opening. I suppose if one was so inclined some sheetmetal inners could be fabbed. I always liked the boxy style of the old Bronco inners:D.

I too drive mine on the street and have not seen a need to keep my inners. I also go out of my way to avoid mud:D.

Ira

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I did something similar to what DPI did, although I didnt really bother to strengthen the fender or roll a lip on it. I did however cut back to where the bottom of the floor line is at. It worked perfect because all I did was screw the innner fender back to the firewall, well its actually part of the floor board. If you got under there and looked around you will be able to get the idea. Let me see if I have any pics, if not I will take some. By the way I have about 6" suspension with a 1" body on 39.5's.

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Found some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Love the bird poop:D But hey guys I will be getting some 36s soon and I have a 4" lift do you guys think i will have to do alot of trimming?

16. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i have 6" front superlift softride leafs and ord zero rate...
    I kept my inner, however I cut right below the bolt that holds the inner to the cab. Cut it straight across... in the front im thinking of making a way to cut my second battery tray down and cut and stretch the inner front to go higher..... so instead of / be more of a ___

[​IMG]

huge pic
    ttp://www.supermotors.net/getfile/409910/original/frontcut2.jpg

17. muddybuddy

jeremy, that looks sweet!

18. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have 6 inch springs up front, 3inch springs in rear with 4 inch ORD shackle flip, and Super shackles so about 10 inch in rear.

I cut the body an inch lower than I wanted finish and then cut slits upward to where I wanted finish and bent the fins in like an L and did a lot of big cutting on the inner fenders and joined the two together and had to put in some patch metal and a lot of welding. Here are some pics I found.

Fender1.jpg

Fender2.jpg

Fender3.jpg

Fender4.jpg

Fender5.jpg

19. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    when I did mine I cut off the tang on the front near the bumper and then boxed in the bottom of that area. My front clip comes off as one piece now but made it a lot stronger, more rigid and less noisy.

P6240016.JPG

P6240017.JPG

20. muddybuddy

i like that set up!!!