Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Input needed on 4 link (pic)

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by PJTPW, Apr 26, 2004.

1. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

After EJS I've decided the leaf springs won't cut it in the rear and am about to link it up. I'm planning on running a 4 link in the |\/| style.

I am planning on bent lower links for maximum break over since I'm running a two piece rear driveshaft and pick up 4" of clearance from the frame sloping up after the Doubler.

I know there would be better all around link configurations, for better roll center, etc, but for what I'm after I think this would be the best set up for me.

I've crunched the numbers in the AS calculator and am coming up with about 30-100% depending on my upper link frame mount height.

My lowers and uppers will be pretty close to parallel and have about 10-11 inches of vertical separation. Lower links will be 50-52" long and uppers will be about 45" - (rough estimation on uppers)

Any input on what you guys think about this set up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
    [​IMG]

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ryan,

Did you model it in ExcelCAD? If so, post up the "18 numbers" from the user-defined area, so that others can plug in your numbers and mess around with optimizations with/for you....

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

Yep, modeled it in excel cad. I'm getting 30-100 percent anti-squat which is good. I plan on making the upper link bracket adjustable.

The main concern I had was moving the Instant Center well out in front of the Center of Gravity. I've been doing a lot of researching on this and apparrently you begin to get diminishing returns as the IC moves farther away from the CG. Specifically less weight transfer to the rear wheels, which can result in less traction.

I know there are "better" link configurations from a pure climbing stand point, but right now I'm refusing to give up break over angle for different link set ups. |/\| or XX would give better numbers in several areas, but I've got 32" of clearance after my Doubler from the frame sloping up. I'd like to keep this much clearance for really tall ledge type obsticals. Upper Helldorado comes to mind.

I'm going to try to drive it unassisted during Blazer Bash, if not before /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I would post numbers, but my truck is all chopped up right now and is on a diet, so I'll have to figure the numbers again anyway when the CG and ride height change. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

Stephen mentioned taking a vehicle out to the carwash hot tub or other vertical section, and run the same obstacle with different AS settings in the suspension. I imagine I'll do that to really tune it once it's done.

Ryan